45

IT'S rustling that wakes me up.

My eyes struggle to peel themselves open. I'm staring at the top bunk, but it's not one that I'm accustomed to – this one is green.

Groaning slightly, my sore body rolls over. I see a small figure sitting in the corner. Quickly, I reach for the rifle at the foot of my bed. My hands wrap around its cold, comforting grip. I haven't even raised it before a voice says, "If you wanted some, all you had to do was ask."

I drop the rifle onto the bed. "Teacup." My voice is a little hoarse. "What are you doing up?"

"I was hungry," she explains simply.

"We're all hungry. We're getting food tomorrow," I recite as I crawl back under the warm blankets. "You need to sleep now."

"...does that mean you don't want any?"  

I rub my eyes. "What are you talking about?"

She shakes a bag. "My secret stash of candy."

I sit up abruptly. "You have food? Why the hell didn't you say something?" I'm scooting off the bed and dashing across the room to sit next to her.

"Because it's my candy," she tells me. "I have to share everything with the squad. Even my home. I wanted my candy to myself."

"Well, life sucks. Share the wealth." I reach into the bag and fish out a Hershey's. My cold fingers wrestle with the wrapper.

"Don't tell anyone else about it," she orders. "I'm not sharing with everyone. Only you."

My mouth waters when I finally tear off the corner. I rip into the packaging before tossing the chocolate in. Its sweet flavor is overwhelming, something I haven't enjoyed in a long time.

"Why me?" I ask as I reach back into the bag. "I thought you were pissed at me."

Teacup nods. "I was," she says. "And you were mad at me too."

I nod. "I was," I admit.

"But..." She sighs. "You're like my sister now, Croak. Sisters fight with each other sometimes. That doesn't mean that they don't care."

I stop my work on the Skittles packet. "You really feel that way?" I ask.

She nods, staring into the bag as she rummages around for her choice of the goodies. "We look out for each other. I know squads are supposed to do that, but..." She shrugs. "I just feel really close to you. I feel safe when I'm with you. Sometimes, you make me happy and laugh. Sisters do that, you know?"

My lower lip is nearly raw from how much I've chewed it lately. "I wouldn't know, actually," I tell her softly. "I've never had a sister."

Her eyes widen. "You were an only child?"

"No," I find myself saying. "I had a brother. I never had a sister." My finger traces the edge of the Skittles pouch, trembling. "But..." I clear my throat. "If I did have a sister, I think it would be like this." I motion back and forth between the two of us.

Teacup is quiet for a minute. "I think that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me," she mumbles.

"Don't expect stuff like that all the time," I say sharply.

"I won't," she answers. We don't say anything for a while. Eventually, she goes back to looking through the candy bag.

Although her head is inclined, I can see the smile stretching her face.