2. "I'd Rather Do Algebra for the Rest of my Life"

Start bij het begin

"And is the job at the library helping?" I questioned.

Taylor nodded. "They've got an amazing collection there. And, it's cool to observe people when they're alone."

"Okay, Edward Cullen."

She threw a pencil at me. "How many times do we have to talk about this? You need to stop believing the internet trend and actually read the book."

"Why do you stare at people again?"

Taylor rolled her eyes. "I don't stare. People often do things out of habit. Sometimes they don't even realize it. I observe them."

"As long as you're enjoying yourself."

"Usually, I do," Taylor said. "But there is this guy who comes by to wait for his girlfriend and they spend the rest of the time making out in a corner." She shuddered, before turning back to her Psychology homework.

I examined her as she did. Taylor was characterized by her golden blonde hair that were almost always in their natural curls. She was much shorter than I was but could draw attention whenever she wanted to with her wild nature. Except, since the beginning of the semester, she had made writing her top priority. Apparently, the epiphany had struck on a late night that finishing a book would be best way to welcome adulthood. 

At least, she had her life sorted out. 

I turned back to my own schoolwork, one I happened to like. I was studying Anatomy this year, and for this particular assignment, I had to analyse the human body structure. The artist in me was fascinated by the image - the curves, the lines, the perfect structure. I preferred to be challenged and excited with art, but there wasn't much to be expected from homework.

In fact, I'd shoved aside my Algebra book. That one had been waiting for my attention for hours now.

"Faith?" Taylor broke the silence after a while.

"Hm?"

"You're going for the party tomorrow, right?"

Looking up from the book, I nodded. "It's not like I have a choice."

"On the bright side," Taylor said, "Most people from school are going to be there, so it won't be a completely dull night."

"Guess I should look forward to it then." 

"And pick your outfit?" she suggested.

I grinned. "Sure. I've got a bunch of new dresses I wanted to try out."

It had been several weeks since I'd dressed up properly - something I particularly enjoyed. Fashion was akin to art for me. It meant dealing with layers, colors, comparatives, and, in a way, creating beauty. More importantly, though, it was something I could say was unique to me.

As I headed towards my closet, Taylor mused, "What's the queen got up her sleeve, this time?" 

I laughed. I liked to make an impression with what I wore, while Taylor enjoyed teasing me about it. She was the kind of person who could make her presence known dressed in the drabbest PJs. I needed the ammo. 

I moved the clothes around until I found what I was looking for. Pulling the hangar with the dress out of the rack, I turned around and held it on display for Taylor.

She raised an eyebrow. "Is that appropriate for a community event?"

"Why not?" I frowned. "Don't you like it?"

"It's gorgeous," she admitted. "But maybe it's more suited for something that half the city isn't attending." 

"If that's what you think," I said with a wide smile. "Then, this is perfect."  

Taylor rolled her eyes. "Why do I even bother with you?"

"A little enthusiasm wouldn't hurt, you know?"

Taylor chuckled. "I do like the dress. Even though you already have enough lace in your wardrobe."

"Too much lace never hurts," I replied and then turned to look at the garment once again. It was a black body-hugging full-sleeved dress that would reach just above my knee, draped entirely with lace, with an open back and a boat neckline. "And," I added after I was done admiring the work on the fabric. "I got matching shoes to go with them."

I peeked around the closet until I found what I was looking for. Admittedly, I had gotten lucky with finding the sling-back lace pumps that I was currently holding up to show Taylor. A change came over her face, an expression of approval.

"They're perfect, aren't they?" I asked.

She nodded. "Suits you." I grinned at that, but she went on. "I don't think you'll survive the night in those, though. When was the last time you wore heels that high?"

"It's been a while," I admitted.

Taylor looked amused. "And yet you're confident about your outfit."

"Of course I am," I said indignantly. I knew I was making a mistake with letting my annoyance show. Taylor loved nothing more than sparking my temper and I knew that she was enjoying herself right now. She wasn't even making an effort to hide her glee.

"Good luck, then," she chimed. "Let's hope your feet don't die tomorrow."

"Some friend you are," I muttered, turning around to return the shoes back to their place.

Taylor only snickered. "I think it'll look good on you, Faith. And also make you look like you're thirty in all that black."

"You're so extra," I retorted. "Still, I'll probably throw in a red clutch for a bit of color and to not look thirty, as you say."

Taylor raised her left eyebrow, something I still couldn't do and which frustrated me to no end. If I could raise my right brow, why wasn't the left one cooperating? "Did you just agree with my suggestion, Faith? What has the world come to?"

"No need to be so dramatic, Tay," I responded with a small smile. "I simply didn't want to take that risk, especially in front of everyone at school." To my surprise, an odd grin spread across Taylor's lips at my words. "What?" I questioned.

She leaned a little forward, as if telling me a secret. "What if he's there? Dwayne Bryant?" 

I stared at her blankly, my jaw dropping down a bit. "Seriously?" I demanded. "I thought you had something exciting to tell me." Taylor looked as disappointed as I felt, except for another reason. "We see him at school anyway," I reminded her, softening my tone. "And we've known him for years. Why are you getting so obsessed with him now?" 

"Because," she explained with renewed fervor. "I'm bored and I want gossip and, frankly, I think as my best friend, you need to provide me with the drama I need." 

She was really trying my patience now. "And you think me associating myself with that brat is going to bring you your much-needed drama." 

Taylor beamed. "Now you're catching on." 

It took everything in me not to throw my pencil at her. Instead, I turned around, ignoring her taunts. "I'd rather do Algebra for the rest of my life."

~

This story will be in dual perspective. Hope you've enjoyed thus far x