Little Archie and Betty at Pop's

Before the murder of Jason Blossom, Riverdale was known to be a thoroughly wholesome town.  We all know now that there was a terrible secret, a facade, that had never been uncovered.  But in this particular moment, where we start our story, life seemed perfect. 

In a booth at Pop's Chok'lit Shoppe, sipping milkshakes were two best friends.  If you were to look in the window yourself, you might retort that there was three friends, but I know there was only two, because I was there.  Across from a flame haired boy sat a graceful girl with blonde curls cascading over her shoulders. She hung on every word of the young heart-breaker, who was my best friend, Archie. The young beauty queen was Elizabeth Cooper, Archie's next door neighbor, whom I had grown up with as well, when I visited Archie nearly every day after school.

I always had always felt jealous of Archie, he had it all: a stable home with loving parents; an amazing best friend, Betty; all the teachers loved Archie, he also had many passing acquaintances, however Betty and I were his two main friends. I never included myself in Archie's circle of friends along with Betty, even though I nonetheless conversed, and hung out with Archie and Betty as much as a normal kid would with his best friends. I suppose I always felt a bit left out, Betty doting so much on Archie. He proposed to her in the second grade, but much to my relief, she told him that they were much to young. But she also said that if he asked her when they were eighteen, she would say yes, which worried me. I didn't want Archie and Betty to get married and to move away, although I didn't know at the time why that alarmed me so much.

--A year before Jason Blossom's murder: in 9th grade--

Betty leaned over the table at the booth, looking across at Archie. "So, spelling quiz this Friday! Are you ready?"

"Oh Betty, our dear A student, let's not talk about school right now! We're supposed to have fun and enjoy ourselves here, to get away from school!" Archie laughed.

"So, seeing we're here to run away from the school's evil snatches...more burgers?" I wondered.

Betty moved her eyes from Archie to me with a disapproving look, "How many have you had already?"

"Only two!"

"And how many calories is in one? Multiplied by two, that's probably roughly ¾ of your daily allowance, and this is only supper. Do you have second supper, Jug?" Betty gave a smug smirk, and her left eyebrow twitched in wicked merriment.

"I am human, inconceivable though it may be, not a hobbit.  I don't have second breakfast, elevenses, afternoon tea and all.  Although maybe I should start having 7 meals a day," I smirked, loving every second of playing with Betty. Her laughing eyes met mine, and my brain froze for a minute, before Archie interrupted.

"I don't get it.  What the heck is hobbit? Some kinda adjective that's popular with you book nerds? No offense."

I sighed in distaste, then explained, "A hobbit is a fictional, diminutive, humanoid race who inhabit the lands of Middle-earth in J. R. R. Tolkien's fiction."

"How does that have anything to do with burgers?"

"It doesn't, although hobbits typically consume 7 meals a day, that's why I was comparing Jughead to a hobbit," Betty answered, continuing my thought pattern.

"Ok, interesting," Archie replied, still not entirely understanding the conversation. "Changing the subject, homecoming is COMING up." Betty giggled at his pun, and I rolled my eyes at the corny joke. I could do so much better. "Are either of you going?"

"I was thinking about it, you?" Betty answered, leaning forward, closer to Archie.

"Of course! I wouldn't miss it. First high school dance! My only trouble is who to ask."

Betty looked hopeful, then nervously bit her lip.

"Well, we could go together, if you don't know who to ask," She suggested, twirling her ponytail in  anxious energy.

"That's sweet, Bets! I'll keep it in mind, y'know, if I can't decide who to go with. Friend dates are just as good as real dates."

I glanced at Betty's face to see how she took this last statement, but I couldn't read her. She looked simultaneously confused, happy and crushed.

And so the night passed by rapidly, and soon we said our goodbyes, and 'see you tomorrows'.