CHAPTER ~ TWELVE

"Sirius!" Arianwen's tone was tinged with annoyance as Sirius pushed her out of the common room in the wheelchair and headed outside. "Why didn't you wake me up earlier?"

Sirius laughed and switched his voice to a tone of utter mockery "forgive me, for you looked much to fragile to wake, Arianwen."

Arianwen grinned despite herself as they entered the crisp morning air, but before she could reply, a strange and loud gurgling noise started from her middle. Startled, she clutched her stomach and exclaimed, "am I turning back into a mermaid? I thought Remus said we had three hours left!"

Sirius, who was now clutching his own stomach from laughing, merely said, "no, no, you're fine, its just you're hungry, you haven't eaten since you transformed, after all."

Her brow furrowed in confusion, "oh, as a mermaid, something completely different happens."

"Oh? And what's that?"

Her face reddened, "oh, nothing that needs to be said out loud. Say! Is that Peter? Hello, Peter!"

As she said, Peter suddenly appeared beside them and with a smile, lifted a basket he was holding and after stating it was their breakfast, hurried away.

"Well," Sirius, who was now holding the basket said, "shall I wheel you towards the lake? Perhaps we can eat there."

Arianwen smiled and agreed that sounded wonderful.

They first began to stroll, each in their own way, around the lake in silence until Arianwen stated this:

"I'm really going to miss this Sirius. I can't express how appreciative I am of how long you spent making that potion."

Sirius shrugged and looked down at her, "it was no problem. I'm glad I took the time to do it."

After casting him a furtive glance, she asked, rather hesitantly, "Sirius, do you ever feel like you're, y-you're l-left out?" *sniff*

Sirius glanced down at her and saw that her hands had rose to her cheeks. She was crying.

Carefully, Sirius dropped the basket, grabbed Arianwen's wrists and sat her down on the grass.

Without a second thought, Sirius gently pulled Arianwen into a hug and stroked her hair. He didn't say another word and for this, Arianwen was grateful.

With his free hand, Sirius grabbed his wand and set the picnic. He carefully unfolded the blanket and set Arianwen onto it. He then placed two plates and two cups, filling them with cinnamon hot chocolate, a fudge filled crescent roll, and a piece of buttered bread. After this was done, Sirius continued to stroke Arianwen's silver hair.

After some time had passed, she lifted her head from Sirius's front and wiped her eyes.

"Thank you." She muttered, her gaze set to the ground.

They then commenced to eating their breakfast in silence. Sirius kept glancing at her worriedly as he saw her shaky fingers hold the warm bit of bread.

"Arianwen." He began, "I'm sorry."

Her flushed and tear stained face looked at him, "what are you apologizing for?"

He scratched the back of his neck, "well, about your family. I know you may not think so, but I, I know how you feel."

Sirius was doing​ his absolute best not to cry himself, as that was considered a sign of inferiority in a male. Arianwen scooted herself next to him and gently touched his cheek with her shaky hand.

"What's wrong, Sirius?"

He gently took her hand from his face, held it, and said, "my, family hasn't always been, well, terribly, accepting of me."

He laughed. And it was small.

Arianwen, instead of questioning him any further, placed her hands on his cheeks, placed his head on her front, and hugged his head.

"Arianwen? What are you doing?"

"Mermaids don't have a proper tradition of comforting so I just decided to copy what you did."

Sirius smiled and was silently glad none of the marauders were around. Merlin's Beard... if James were here, Sirius would never hear the end of it.

...

The Marauder's (and Lily's) P.O.V

"Aaw..." Lily looked at the pair through a group of bushes; behind her, sat Remus, James, and Peter.

"I don't know how I feel about this. Guys, we should go. Sirius deserves his privacy." Remus decided.

"But Remus," Peter cried looking through a pair of binoculars, "they're so cute. Look! Sirius is blushing."

"I don't believe it." James took the binoculars from Peter and tried his best not to laugh as he shook his head disbelievingly, "Not so tough anymore, now are we Padfoot?"

Lily glanced at Remus and nodded. The female and werewolf then practically dragged the two away from the scene in an effort to give Sirius the privacy he deserved.

...

Eventually though, minutes of silence passed between the pair. Minutes eventually turned into hours and it was time to say farewell to the many minutes of silent comfort that had passed between them. Arianwen retreated to a tree, took off her uniform and shivered as she sat herself into the icy water of the Black Lake. But in a matter of seconds, she was back to being a mermaid. Needless to say the transformation back was less painful than the transformation to.

"Hey, Arianwen?" Sirius called, his hand still overtop his eyes.

"You can look."

Sirius uncovered his eyes and sat down in front of the lake, and in front of Arianwen.

"Thank you, Sirius." She said.

Sirius smiled a small smile in return, "no problem."

After a pause, Arianwen turned and with a cheerful grin stated, "well, I guess I'll see you in a week or two then. Bye Sirius."

Surprised at the sudden goodbye, Sirius grabbed her hand, thoroughly flustered.

"Wait, are you leaving already?" He let go of her hand, "I mean, when... can I see you again?"

As it was her turn to feel surprised, she said, "oh, really? Well, whenever, I suppose." She laughed, or rather, blew more air then usual from her nose, "I'm always here."

He smiled, "great. I'll meet you by those reeds then. Where we used to meet for the potion."

"Nice." She decided, "I'll see you later then."

"Yeah." Sirius grinned and thus an awkward moment ensued.

Sirius stuck his hand out to shake Arianwen's, assuming hugs weren't in her agenda. But Arianwen lifted herself out of the water and wrapped her arms around his waist.

She let go and gave him a smile and a quick salute.

Sirius stood and returned both sheepishly, "I'll see you in a week then, I guess. But if you need anything before then, send Winston."

Arianwen's face melted into a grateful smile and a slight laugh escaped her lips, "Thank you Sirius, again."

"Right." He grinned, turned around and began to walk back to the castle.

Arianwen's flushed countenance still fresh in his mind, Sirius said to himself, that he'd definitely be back by tomorrow.

...