Chapter Forty

[ listen to splash by frost vegas while reading this ]

Meghan's P.O.V

I sit on my bed, just staring at the wall. My thoughts are running around my head and I can't seem to concentrate. All I can do is sit and stare at the wall, letting the tears silently make their way down my cheeks. My heart is racing and my chest is beginning to hurt because I am trying to hold my breath to stop hiccuping but it's not working.

"Drake and Evie were going to give me information about my sister's death if I got them information about you so they can use it against you to get you into serious trouble. Jail, even."

How can they just do something like that to me? I mean, Drake and Evie were suppose to stick by my side, through thick and thin. How did it even come to this?

I glance over at the photo of my brother and I and pick it up, breathing out a sigh. Suddenly, as if to cause me to cry more, a memory flashes in my mind.

I watch as a car pulls up beside the road. The police vans and ambulance are outside of the hotel, checking if people are alright. That car is no police van though.

Matt?

I watch as the car door swings open and my eyes widen when I look at Matt who is wearing a grey sweater and maroon sweatpants. He walks over to me with a small smile, making me run towards him and attack him into a hug.

"Oh my god, I've missed you." I say, letting my heart explode. It's been so long since I've seen my big brother and now that he is right in front of me, I just want to cry.

"Same here, Meghan." Matt says quietly and I can't help but smile, pulling away from him to look at him. Matt looks around until his eyes land on the hotel that I was in just mere minutes ago.

"What happened?" Matt asks and I shake my head, shrugging.

"I don't know. I was in the room and next thing I know, it's on fire." I explain, watching as Matt's jaw clenches. Suddenly, a thought races into my mind, making me frown in confusion. "Matt?" I call, watching as he looks down at me.

"Yeah?"

"How did you know I was here?" I ask and Matt chuckles, pressing his hand to my cheek.

"Instinct." Matt says, making my frown deepen. Matt rolls his eyes. "Tough crowd." He mumbles before pulling his hand away from my cheek. "Mom saw the news." He explains after a few seconds and my eyes widen slightly.

My mom told Matt?

"Speaking off mom, we have to go see her." Matt explains, grabbing my hand. "She wants to make sure you're okay." Matt explains and I pull my hand away, shaking my head.

"I-I can't." I stutter, blinking away the tears. "I just can't."

Matt turns to me, sighing. "Meghan, I know she has been a bitch to us but she swears she has changed. Besides that though, I'll be there with you so if anything does go wrong, we'll be okay." Matt explains and I smile.

"Okay."

My heart clenches as the following memories come into my mind. I push them away though, not wanting to remember them at all. Furiously, I wipe away the tears and huff out a sigh, shaking my head slightly.

What the hell have I become? Living with a good boy sure does make me seem like a little bitch. I mean, since when do I cry? I, Meghan Brooks, never cries. Never.

The bad girl turning good, my brain mocks, making me scoff.

Looking at my phone that is in front of me, I breathe out a sigh. Just thinking about me being good makes me think of one person.

Jake.

No, I can't talk to him, I tell myself.

Pressing on his name, I look at the messages we have sent to each other.

Nerd Boy: Wait... what happens when your like eighty years old and you become saggy with the tattoos on your arms? Won't that look ugly?

Me: Who says I'm going to be saggy?

Nerd Boy: Well, I just think of my grandma and she is saggy... ugh, it's horrible.

Me: Ew, why would you think of your grandma in the first place?

Nerd Boy: I don't know! Don't judge me!

I let out a quiet chuckle at our midnight conversation while I was in hospital. Gosh, Jake is such an idiot.

But he is your idiot, my brain comments and I can't help but agree.

That's true.

Looking down at the empty text box on the bottom of the screen, I can't help but click on it, watching as the keyboard appears on the screen. I let out a sigh, not even knowing what to say.

Wait, will he even be awake?

Duh, he is probably working out at this time, my brain says.

Oh my -- no, Meghan, no.

I type a few words at the bottom of the screen but instantly delete it.

Sorry about be -- delete.

Since when do I say sorry?

Thinking about you -- delete.

I'm not sappy.

Sighing, I turn my phone off.

I won't even bother.

●●●

A/N - Sorry it's short but I hope you liked it anyway!

-XmysterysmileX