Ilmarë did not seem eager to tell the tale, and turned to Eonwë.  Elrohir worried he had asked the wrong question, but Eonwë gave them a short account.

"As you may know, I was not always as I am now," he began.  "I was in the beginning a student of Melkor, who you know as Morgoth.  I led the armies of darkness, and what you call the Balrogs in particular.  During a seemingly unimportant battle for nothing more than a hill, my company came upon no defenders, only Ilmarë and a number of Maiar with no desire to fight.  She surrendered and asked only that we let her and her people leave unharmed.  I accepted, saying only it was a pity there would be no battle that day."

Ilmarë took her husband's hand.  He clearly did not want to recall his distant past, but he continued the tale.

"There was among my company, which was composed of the deadliest servants of Melkor, one named Gothmog.  He declared that he would accept no surrender, and would kill every servant of the Valar he could.  I was furious at his insubordination, and Ilmarë was cunning.  She asked which of us spoke for our unit.  Unfortunately it became clear that most of the Balrogs sided with Gothmog, and he told me to leave quickly if I wished no part in the slaughter.  Ilmarë begged me to save her and her people.

“I saw no difference between slaughtering them myself and walking away and letting Gothmog and his friends do it.  I also realized Melkor would side with Gothmog over me.  I drew my mace and sword and said that I was glad there would be a battle after all.

“I was prepared to stand one against fifty, but there were a number of soldiers loyal to me who came to my defense.  We were still outnumbered four to one but we won the day.  Few among Gothmog's men were willing to face me in battle for nothing more than a chance to slaughter a few innocents, and Gothmog himself I quickly defeated.  He is far more cruel than clever, and spends too much time celebrating and not enough time practicing."

Eonwë finished his tale and saw that his guests looked shocked.

"I see that tale was not in the history books of Rivendell," he said with a laugh.  "Do not worry, it is a dark tale, but it is good to hear.  Do not think that all those who serve the darkness will never see the light."

Míril and Elrohir exchanged a look. Could this apply to their daughter?

Elladan dared ask the next question as his friends remained quiet.  "How did you come to know Glorfindel?"

Eonwë responded with a smile. "He served in the Eagle Guard during the great war.  Eventually he was promoted into my most elite unit.  By the end of the war I relied upon him as much as any elf.  He is clever, clear headed, and a natural leader."

"And he says he wasn't a hero," said Miril laughing.  "All he'll say is 'I served in the company of heroes.''

"And so also says every man who has ever served with him," said Eonwë.

Ilmarë shook her head with a smile. "What do each of you wish to do in Valinor?”

Elladan considered this carefully. He thought about all the possibilities at hand, all the jobs he could look into. But only one was tempting him.

“I wish to hunt with Lord Oromë if he would allow it,” Elladan responded.

Eonwë nodded approvingly. “A worthy pursuit. I am sure he would welcome it.”

"I think I wish to serve the court of King Finarfin," said Elrohir.

"I am sure he will be glad to have you," said Ilmarë, pleased with this decision.

Míril was quiet. "I don't suppose there is any room in your guard for new soldiers?”

"The guard is always open to new members," said the Captain.  "But you have a lot to learn before you are ready."

"I'll need a teacher.” Miril nodded.

Eonwë smirked. "I have a few ideas.”

After dinner Ilmarë had one final treat for her guests.  She led them upstairs and onto a balcony on the back of her house.

It was very dark but Tirion was clearly visible in the valley below.  Thousands of small fires - lamps along every road and candles in many windows - showed the city as an intricate web of light.

"The eagles are lucky," said Miril.  "The world looks so beautiful from up here."

Elrohir leaned in and whispered to her. “Almost as beautiful as you are.”

Laughing lightly, Elladan took a sip of wine as he stood beside his twin. He watched Tirion below and agreed with his sister-in-law’s assertion that Tirion was beyond beautiful.