Chapter three: i dont bite

"I swear just go see him! You've been drawing him constantly," Axel teased. "It is your day off." He added and walked out the front door of our apartment before I could retort anything. I looked down at my new sketch book, I had recently filled a few pages because of a certain someone at a little mask shop. He was right, I hadn't realized I'd been drawing the same thing repetitively, all of Uta's face, though it wasn't really my fault, I couldn't seem to get him out of my head. I pondered the notion a bit more of going to see him and finally I mustered up the courage and a good excuse. 'im here for axels mask.... oh hey crazy seeing you here, I'm just here to pick up axels um.. mask...' I practiced out loud to the otherwise quiet apartment. ' yup I sound like an idiot.' I thought to myself and headed out the door to the mask shop.
****time skip****
I opened the door and peered inside. Then walked in. It was quiet like it had been the week before and I walked passed the many masks to the back of the shop. Uta sat in front of an easel sketching, music poured from the headphones he wore and he looked engulfed in work. His eyes were fixed on the sketch before him and I took a step back.
"You here for the mask or are you just here to see me?" he crooked his head to the side and stopped what he was doing. I almost couldn't tell if he was kidding or not but I remembered I had been told by touka that he was a bit of a teaser. Though I begged it wouldn't, heat rushed to my cheeks. I watched as he dropped the headphones to his neck and stood up. He looked my face over.
"sit there." He ordered pointing to a chair in the center of the room before I could answer. I turned and did as I was told.
" I want to make a mask for you, seeing as how you like to engulf your being with ghouls, you may need one." He added walking over to me. Before I could protest he threw questions at me like I'd never heard before. "Any family? Significant other? Birthdate? Height? Are you allergic to anything? Rubber, metal, latex?" He quickly spoke and moved around me looking at my features. My face grew hotter as he moved closer. "umm family? Just Axel, no boyfriend, September, five six ish, and no not really." I answered as he took my measurements. "what happened to the family?" he continued and I was a bit taken back by just how blunt he was but answered anyway. "They were killed."
"oh how?" he continued and I turned to look at him. "Axels father." I stated as he turned my head to face the front again.
"And yet you still hang around him? Why is that? Do you love him?" he questioned. "Must be painful seeing him everyday."
"It's not his fault, he lost someone too. And I do love him though it's not the romantic kind, he's all I have." I started.
"Yes, his mother." Uta moved to face me.
"why does this matter?" I asked starting to feel a little uncomfortable.
"It helps me know you, so I can make a mask more to your needs and personality." He answered not taking his eyes from mine. 'that makes sense I suppose' I thought as he began sketching. "Would you want to go get coffee with me? It would help me make a better mask fit for you?" he asked tossing his sketch pad on the table. "Um... do you always get coffee with your customers?" I answered standing up and moving to the door with him. He looked down at me, his dark eyes holding mine to his. "Just the ones that interest me." He spoke cooling and I could feel my heart beat just a bit harder.
*** time skip***
The coffee shop was quite busy and we took the cups to go. Axel and Touka flashed me surprised and confused looks before we had left and I'm sure my face must have been bright red. We now walked through a park not far from the shop. The breeze was cool against my skin and his company was pleasant.
"Shouldn't you be getting back to work?" I asked as we followed a stone path.
"I am working." He said coolly. I smiled down at my coffee and we continued walking. The questions flew rapidly and I answered as well as I could. I had scarcely noticed the time flying by as we reached the shop.
"You can stay and sketch with me, if you'd like, I wouldn't mind the company." He sat down in front of the easel and I sat on the chair. I pulled out my sketch pad and he gave me a confused look. "You can move that closer. I won't bite." His emotionless face went back to the paper as I moved the chair closer to him.
"Don't promise something you don't intend to keep." I smirked as I sat down. An almost smile flashed quickly across his face and was gone. We both sketched for a while and then he allowed music to flow into the silent air. It was nice. It was something different that no one had done with me before. We weren't just two different species sitting in a small room together we were treating each other as everyone else should. As axel and I treated each other, as equals. I smiled at the thought and moved my hand over the edge of the paper to turn it. The paper sliced through my index and middle finger tips and blood pooled then spilt over. Probably the worst paper cut I'd ever gotten. My black nail polished now looked a solid red as the tiny wounds continued to bleed.
"Crap." I said out loud and finally made eye contact with Uta. He grabbed my hand gently and stuck the tips of two of my fingers into his mouth. I watched in a mixture of shock and fear. Then the front door opened.