Chapter one: i dont bite

I walked hurriedly down the unfamiliar streets, avoiding eye contact with passersby and found my way into a small crappy apartment complex. I had been living here for about three weeks now and I was still nowhere near used to this place. I was nearly to the door of my apartment when the door opened before me. Axel, my roommate stood in the door way. Every time I see him it's like the first time. His light brunette hair fell down to the sides of his face and he had the rest pulled back into a pony tail like he always had it. The best friend necklace we both shared hung loosely around his neck. The dark rope had aged after several years of continuous use and the once silver charm had turned an off color now. He wore his favorite black jacket lined with a blood red interior and a tight white shirt with black jeans that hugged his body in all the right places. A silver chain hung from his hip to somewhere at his back. His bright blue eyes stared holes in my face and he spoke with a sweet voice.
   "Thought you should be home by now." He smiled a toothy grin and stepped aside. I walked inside and tossed my jacket on a chair we had next to the front door. "Still no luck finding a job?" he added as I flopped onto the floor and shut my eyes. I rested my hands on my face and huffed.
    "You know it is so much harder to find a job than I thought. I don't know what to do Axel." I wined. I heard him lay down next to me and I could hear the smile in his voice.
   "well.... I do know of one place that may help..." he commented after a moment. "I know the owner, he was an old friend of my mothers' before..." his happy voice trailed off.
    Axel and I had just recently moved back to Tokyo, my parents had been stationed here when I was growing up and I met Axel my first day of eighth grade. I had traveled over from the United States and everything had been so new to me. No one talked to me and I sat at a table alone, until an empty tray landed harshly in front of me. I looked up from my sad lunch and saw a wide eyed toothy boy standing there. From that day on we had been inseparable. Axel is my best friend.... Who also shares the same blood line as the man that killed my parents... Axel was born to a man and a woman of a different world than myself and the ones I loved. Axel and his family were ghouls. Though at the time I didn't know what that meant, I am all too aware now.
     A ghoul is someone who is unable to eat the food humans so enjoy and live off of... a ghoul must eat the flesh of the living, be that human or ghoul to live, though some seem to thrive on that of the suicidal.
The latter is how Axel and his mother had been living when I had met him, his father on the other hand took to a more.... Conventional approach that most other ghouls around here do, a life of fighting and death.
     It was a case of wrong place wrong time. My parents had been talking inside with Axels' mother when we were walking around the block and to the park we generally hung out at, it had gotten late and we headed home. But when we reached the house the door had been discarded and blood spattered the entry way. Axel covered my eyes and refused to let me see anything that lay inside. To put it plainly, his father had come home hungry, and my parents were the closest thing, Axels mother lost her life trying to protect them, and his father had been killed a few days after the incident.
But that was years ago and we were finally getting some sort of normalcy. We took care of each other and we finally seemed happy. Well... sort of....                      
                         ***time skip****
    I woke the next morning to the sound of Axel moving around in the kitchen. I crawled out of bed and went to see what he was up to.
He stood in the door of the open fridge and when he heard me walk in turned to wish me a good morning as he popped what appeared to be an eye ball into his mouth. His beautiful blue eyes now were a piercing red and the once white sclera was a deep black.
    "Morning sunshine" he smiled and griped a jar full of small bodily appendages and ruffled my messy hair. "Good morning." I yawned and nudged his side. I grabbed an apple unfazed by the man eating human pieces and sat next to him as we ate. It had been like this for quite some time.... As crazy as it seems I enjoyed it, I loved that we could both eat at the same time and both actually enjoyed what we were putting into our bodies. At first Axel still tried to eat the human food I did, vomiting it all up when I would leave for work or take a nap, and finally I begged him to be himself. Not that I like the smell of a dead body, but I loved my best friend, and I chose to accept him for him. I held tightly to his secret and our friendship.
    We both crashed in to the couch, "So where are we going again?" I asked as laid my head in his lap enjoying my apple as he spoke. "It's a little coffee shop, run by mostly ghouls, my mom used to take me there every day after school, I think you would like it." He finished the jar off and gazed down at me with his bright blues.
   "Well, if you think they'll take me,I'll give it a shot!" I smiled up at him and the sun coming in through the open window graced his features in a way that made me gasp. "but first," I added, " I want to sketch you! Do not move!" he rolled his eyes at me as I dashed off for my sketch pad.
***********
     "Anteiku?" I asked reading the sign.
     "This is it." Axel smiled and we walked up the stairs.
We were greeted by friendly smiles and hello's. "Can we speak to your manager?" Axel said kindly,and a girl with dark hair tensed. An older gentlemen behind the counter smiled and pushed a door behind the register open. "Been a while, Axel." The man spoke happily. "you as well Enji koma." Axel said back and I followed him past the workers and up the stairs.