The Academy - 4

I hadn't gone back to sleep after the nightmare. I didn't want people barging into my room two times in one night. Not to mention I was still shaking from the nightmare. It had been so...real.

After I had finally managed to convince Elijah I was alright and no one was trying to murder he had hesitantly retreated back into Cece's room with her. The crowd and noise in the hallway had eventually died down and everyone settled back into their rooms.

That had been at about two in the morning. I had attempted to shut my door, but the splintered wood had only allowed it to swing somewhat shut. This didn't help me sleep either. If Benvoli did show up nothing would stand in his way from getting in. Fantastic.

My alarm suddenly began to go off. It was eight, finally. I went over to my desk and grabbed the phone Lisa had given me. I took it over to the window to look out as dialed her number.

I waited patiently as it rang before an automated voice came on. "No cellular service available." It's robotic voice told me.

"What?" I snapped impatiently as I took my phone away from my ear to look at the screen. No Service. "That's just perfect." I moaned and tossed the phone over onto my bed.

I then stared out the window, nibbling lightly on my thumb nail. I could see the main school building from my window. It seemed huge and looming over the few people who were walking in.

It was Sunday, the last day before the first day of school. Regular kids would be worrying about their first day outfits and where to find all their classes. I wasn't a regular kid. I was worrying about a drug lord who could be planning my murder at this very second. Not to mention, at Ravenwood everyone was required to wear uniforms.

That was the thing about Benvoli. He had been there that night. For all I knew he was the one who fired the shot that he thought would kill me. But he had missed, a fatal mistake I knew he regretted. Now I was the one who was going to lock him away forever. Unless he could find me.

"Hey," Someone called behind me. "Sawyer." I turned to see Elijah once again in my room. "Sorry about the door." He smirked.

"Don't worry about it," I told him. Elijah nodded with an amused look before walking off down the hall. I went to my doorway to watch him walk away.

Cece's door suddenly opened and she watched Elijah walk away as well.

Almost as though he could feel us both staring at him he shouted something back. "I'll call you!" I was sure Elijah was talking to Cece.

"No you won't!" Cece yelled back. Elijah then made a thumbs up before disappearing down the stairs. I looked over at Cece to see her reaction. She just rolled her eyes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Cece had shown me down to the cafeteria. It was a large room with about four dozen different tables.  It was no where near big enough to seat all eight hundred students at a time, but I doubted everyone showed up at the same time anyways. Not to mention on the way here I had seen about two hundred people enjoying breakfast on the grass outside the buildings.

The food was good, nothing compared to what my mom used to be able to do, but I guess it wasn't fair to compare it to that.

I looked up from my pancakes to look at Cece. "Do you get cell phone reception here?"

"Hell no," Cece laughed. "We're in the middle of the woods. But sometimes, if you climb on the roof you can get enough reception to make a short call."

"How do you know that?" I asked with a small laugh. She shrugged.

"You've got to find something to do at this school," Cece said.