Chapter one

I'm fidgeting inside the car. My dad decided to drive me to school every day from now on, to prevent another repeat performance of the lake. Ever since my failed attempt on suicide, many things changed.

My parents hired a shrink, for one. Over the summer, I’ve been seeing Dr. Evan’s on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The visits will go on until he decides that all traces of ending my life are gone from my head. The first time I met him, he asked me when I started thinking about suicide. I liked him, instantly. He didn’t patronize me and went straight to the point. I told him, I never thought of suicide until I went to high school.

I had been, from the very first day of school, a complete outcast, though I was never completely sure why. I had been shy and gawky, that was true, never really knowing what to say to the other kids. I had little experience with people. I’m an only child and my parents mostly left me alone. Therefore, when I entered high school, I didn’t know anyone and no one really gave much effort into knowing me.

I was completely lost and finally I'd had the good sense to simply accept my place in the scheme of things. It was much, much better to be ignored than to be cut to pieces every day, ridiculed and bullied. Or, worst of all, to make a friend and then lose her when she realized that to be friends with me was to share in my misery.

No. I was much happier alone.

I didn’t realize that we stopped already until my dad opens the car door for me.

“Keira?” my dad says.

I look up. “Huh?”

“You need to go out now or you’ll be late.” He’s still holding the car door open.

“Sorry” I apologized then grabbed my brown leather backpack and slowly got out of the car.

“It’s okay honey.” He shut the door then faced me. “You’ll behave?”

I roll my eyes and mutter “sure…sure” then proceeded on walking towards the high school building. I hear him say “I’m serious!” but I just held my right hand up and waved, not looking at him.

Don’t worry dad, there’s no lake here.

As I was walking, the students littering the grounds starts whispering to one another, openly gawking in my direction and some even pointing. I want to shout “Take a picture, it’ll last longer!” but being the shy person that I am, I didn’t.

Sheesh, you attempt suicide and suddenly, the high school outcast becomes little miss popular.

I reach the building’s entrance, a big black metal door with small transparent windows, and with a deep sigh, I grab the cold handle and went in.