Chapter 1

Vik

I don't want to stare at my ceiling any longer, or listen to the constant battle of my mind. I want to sleep. I want to block it out, but I can't. My eyes close and the demons fight harder.

The ceiling is cruel to me, with no patterns, nothing to stare at. Nothing but darkness. The moon doesn't shine through my window brightly, darkness does.

I reach for my phone, and squint at the bright numbers on my phone. Too early to get up, too late to try sleep. Not like it would work anyway.

I sit up in bed, and take my eyes off the ceiling and bring them to my knees. My eyes stay open as I curl into a ball. And I am so, so tired.

~~~~

I don't remember falling asleep, it must've happened without me noticing. But my mind got a break from the arguments. I lift from my bed and don't hear my bed spring.

I hear silence.

I pad across the floor to my closet and take out today's outfit. I drape it over a chair in the bathroom as I get in the shower. The shower isn't silent, but I am. I don't sing in the shower and I don't think in the shower. I wash in the shower.

I feel like a robot, getting up at the same time and doing the same thing over and over with no meaning or purpose. No fun.

I dress in black jeans and a hoodie, I do two swipes with my brush in my hair and head downstairs.

Robot, robot, robot.

I sit in the kitchen and eat cereal. The same one as yesterday, with the same amount and the same spoonfuls.

I drink the same amount of water as yesterday, and wash up the same cup and plate I used today. I sit in silence and stare at the fridge. At the fridge where only one magnet sticks, holding a note up. I stare at the note and I keep staring until the words go blurry. And then when they go blurry I stand up and grab my backpack and go outside.

Where I wait for the bus, just like yesterday. But unlike yesterday, someone stands at my bus stop. They are unknown to me, because no one comes to this bus stop.

I sigh and keep my eyes on the road and wait for the bus. The boy has his eyes on me as he watches me take another energy drink out.

"Did you know energy drinks are bad for you?" The boy asks, and I turn to face him.

"Did you know energy drinks keep people awake?" I retort, turning my head from the blue jumper boy. The bus pulls up and I get on and take my seat in the back where I drink my energy drink and wish that the blue jumper boy hadn't sat next to me.

"Hi, I'm Harry!" Blue jumper boy says, holding out a hand.

"And I care why?" I say back, pushing his hand away.

"Because we're gonna be friends!" He says.

"Fuck off."

And then silence returns, followed by the low rumbling of the bus.

Harry doesn't move away on the bus, he sits next to me and smiles brightly at nothing. He smiles brightly at everything.

But, I can't complain because he is silent.

~~~~
In school the hallways are crowded and there is no silence, none at all. Harry follows me to my locker, and when I turn around to face him, he grins at me wider.

"What do you want?" I groan and rub my face with my sleeve.

"I wanna be friends! I'm new here and you're the first person I saw," he states confidently.

"Well maybe you should follow someone else around 'cause I tend to not have friends," I reply, taking my books out and starting to walk to my form room.

"Can you at least take me to the main office?" He asks. I sigh and nod gently.

When we arrive he says his name and gets his schedule. The woman looks over at me and smiles.

"Ah, Vik, you can show Harry around!" She exclaims.

Damnit, now I'm stuck with him.

More like he's stuck with you.

I guide Harry to our form room, and sit on the wall next to it. Pulling out by book and pencil, I begin to draw. Short strokes doing fine details of eyebrows, long strokes doing the strands of hair, long but not too long. A shaded ear comes into view and I stop my pencil on the cream paper.

"Can I help you?" I ask with a tone of annoyance in my voice.

"No! It's just you're really good at art!" Harry says, his voice high pitched.

I roll my eyes and get back to drawing. I draw the outline of eyes but don't shade them, no. I want the eyes to be blue, and stand out against the pencil.

"It-it's me?" Harry asks, slightly shocked. I too, am taken aback as I hadn't realised I had been drawing him.

"I guess so, it's not done," I reply, and I hold up a hand so he doesn't talk. The bell rings loudly and kids mill around frantically. I sigh in irritation and enter my form room, plonking down on a science stool.

Harry is quick to follow and settles down next to me. I rest my head on the table and sigh as we wait for our form tutor to arrive. She's late, as per usual. She takes attendance and tells us about upcoming school events and then we are sent to our first lesson; history.

"Vikky!" Harry hollers as he bounces next to me. I hunch into my coat and don't reply. I keep walking.

It continues throughout the day, he follows me to class and then we do it again.

I get on the bus home and keep a 'steady' conversation with Harry.

Steady meaning him asking me questions and me giving short answers. When I arrive home, there is a sweet silence to my house.

Silent mind.