Chapter 23: Fred And George Eat Chaos For Breakfast

Start from the beginning

"Alex, come on." Fred said seriously. Nothing was much clearer, but I certainly knew something was up now. Alex fell back into the couch and Fred lent his elbows on his knees, "Well, you know that neither George or me are bothered about staying."

"Right ..." Alex nodded,

"And ... and we said we was thinking of you know, rebellion, showing some products, bit of promotion."

"Right ..." Alex frowned at George,

"And well ... well, erm ..."

"Where are you going with this?" I looked from Fred to George with a frown and a slightly curled lip, wondering and worried about what might pop out of one of their mouths next. They exchanged a nervous glance. Fred sighed, but then George blurted out,

"We're leaving." There was a pause in conversation, almost a pause in life. I was unsurprised and surprised at the same time. An opposite stream of emotions clashed and it produced a tidal wave in my stomach. The twins were leaving. My best buddies were leaving. George ... was leaving,

"Y'what."

"We're leaving."

"Yeah I thought that's what you said." Alex nodded slowly, the one to break the silence, "W-When exactly?"

"Erm ... the Friday before the ... exams begin." Fred uttered steadily. He and Alex then engaged in a tennis conversation,

"Ah, right so is that ... the OWL exams as in the ones which begin in over a months time or the NEWT exams as in the ones which begin a week on Monday?"

"Oh ... well ... erm ... we was ... the NEWT ones."

"So what, you going on the Sunday, yes?"

"Well no actually ... we was erm ... thinking of the ... Friday."

"So that's erm ... that's the Friday as in ... a week yesterday?" Alex's look was a daring one. It even struck fear through me, and my heart bled for Fred's current social situation,

"Well ... yes." Fred said all in a single breath, but it was drawn out so much it felt like he was never going to confirm or deny Alex's accusation. There was another silence period whilst nervous and sadden glances were exchanged between Fred and George and Alex and I, but the twins nor Alex and I looked at each other for a long while. It was like we had unknowing split ourselves into teams. It wasn't until I glanced up at Alex through the corner of my eye that our gazes caught, and in a blink she became the most sober, sensible one of us all and was immediately up and sending everyone to their dorm and to bed. I slumped into mine, head first into the pillow. I didn't cry like I and everyone was expecting. It wasn't going to change their minds.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I leant my head onto George's shoulder and stared deep into the common room fire. In four days, it would be Monday. The day of our first N.E.W.T exam. I couldn't revise. Tomorrow was Friday, the day Fred and George were executing their final rebellion against Umbridge and was leaving Hogwarts for good. I had tried to promise myself I wouldn't cry, since I still hadn't done up to then, but I knew it wouldn't happen, "Please don't be sad."

"I'm not sad."

"You are sad." George insisted, forcing me to sit up and look him in the eye. I struggled, but I could just about do it. He laid his palm on my cheek and sighed,

"Where's my strong, independent Lottie eh?"

"She left."

"But what about the new year resolution return of the lion hearted Lottie that was in 1993 and four?"