Moment Of Truth

Chapter Twenty-Two: Moment Of Truth

*~*~*~*

"Karev? Watley?" Arizona made her way over to where Bailey and I were talking, Alex nowhere in sight. All of the fifth year residents were gathered outside the ER, preparing to leave for the airport. We were all flying out to San Francisco today to take our oral boards. A lot of attendings were out here with us, giving last minute advice.

"I need to talk to Mark." I excused myself, unable to handle another pep talk. I headed over to where Mark and Jackson were talking, the later seeming to be focusing on his phone rather than what he was being told.

"Now have salmon for dinner. And tell room service to make sure it's not frozen. You lose omega-threes if it's frozen." Mark advised him. "Avery, are you listening to me?"

"I'm trying not to." Jackson was honest as he grabbed his bag, ready to head over to the shuttle.

"All right, how are you on cash?" Mark asked, holding a bundle of bills out to him. "I figured you needed some."

"I'll take that." I took the cash from Mark while Jackson headed over to the shuttle, leaving us alone. "Really?"

"What? I'm looking out for my protege, my brother." He shrugged.

"He's not your brother yet." I reminded him, tucking the money back into the pocket of his lab coat. "So please stop trying to shove salmon and money down his throat."

"Fine." He agreed. "Now you should have chicken thighs and spinach for dinner to get plenty of omega-threes, I also packed you some walnuts and sunflower seeds to snack on during the flight. Are you sure you don't need money?"

"Please just shut up and kiss me." I shook my head.

"If you insist." He grinned before leaning down, pressing his lips to mine. I smiled into the soft kiss before we parted. He wrapped his arm around my shoulders, guiding me towards the shuttle.

"I love you." I gave him one more kiss before I climbed into the shuttle.

"I love you, too." He called after me. "Kick some ass!"

*~*~*~*

"Ow!" I looked over my shoulder, finding April running into some guy as we made our way through the hotel lobby, trying to check ourselves in.

"I'm sorry." The guy apologized.

"That's- Oh, Case Western Reserve." April noticed the hat he was wearing. "Uh, do you know Ted Stevenson, head of trauma?"

"I do, yeah." He nodded.

"He just offered me a job. I might be an attending there." April informed the guy, and I could see his smile falter. "April Kepner, Seattle."

"Kevin Banks." He ignored her outstretched hand. "I'm the guy whose job you took. I was waiting to hear, but I guess I just heard. Thanks a lot."

"Well, he hates me." April muttered.

"Come on," I grabbed her suitcase, leading her over to where the others were sitting.

"How do you do that?" Alex laughed, having seen the encounter, too. "You've been here, like, two minutes."

"My examiner is gonna hate me, too, instantly." April shook her head.

"Don't psych yourself out." Cristina told her.

"One in five people fail the boards." She reminded us of the statistic.

"Fine psych yourself out." Cristina shrugged.