Chapter 2

My story begins the day before my twentieth birthday. My life had not been one of note before then, having come from a middle-class family. I was nothing special in myself, no superhuman abilities. I had always loved watching sword fights and devoted myself to the study of fencing when I got the chance, becoming a fair hand with the sword. Having spent the majority of my childhood romping through the forests near my house, hunting, fishing, and in general making a nuisance of myself as much as possible, my mother sent me to join the City Watch, so that I might stay out of trouble. My skill with a sword helped me rapidly advance in the Watch, and I rose to the rank of Captain of the Watch in two short years.

I took a hands-on approach to crime in the city, actively seeking out thugs and murderers and bringing them to the King's Justice. Needless to say, I spent quite a fair bit of time with the healers for various cuts and bruises and broken bones. I began to fall in love with one of the nurses, a pretty Vulpes named Melani. Her eyes were beautiful, a sparkling clear blue that made all other colors seem dull, like the first clear sky after weeks of rain. She was not the tallest Vulpes, the top of her head only reaching about to my chin. Her long auburn hair was usually braided behind her head, and she would often hit me with the braid whenever I would tease her.

She somehow fell for me as well, and we began dating. Those were the greatest two years of my life. She was everything to me. Her laugh would constantly ring out at my jokes, and the sun itself seemed to shine brighter when she smiled. I still often smile when I think about the various adventures we had, boating and swimming, trying to teach her swordplay, (which she was not good at), and her trying to teach me the healing arts, which I was not so excellent at. I worked up the courage to ask her to marry me, and much to my delight she said yes. We were set to be married on the last day of Iridur. I looked forward to the day, as not only was I going to marry the girl of my dreams, it would also be my twentieth birthday. It was on that day that my world was torn apart and my true story begins.

I was walking home from the Southern gate of the city, having been relieved from my watch, and I stopped to buy flowers for Melani. "Hello Rho! Buying flowers for your lady love again?" the shopkeeper asked jokingly, knowing full well I buy her flowers every day from his shop.

"Ha, that I am, John. How are your children?" I asked. John and his wife had been our neighbors for two years, and were very dear friends. Melani and I had often watched their two children while they were out. His tail wagged violently, as most Canid's tails tend to when they are happy, and replied:

"They are well! I was actually wondering if you and Melani would be opposed to watching them this evening so I and the missus can go have a picnic."

"Of course!" I answered, laughing, "Mel and I always love having the pups around. Speaking of Melani, I should probably get going. Send the kids over anytime, John!" Waving goodbye, I passed several other close friends, and waved at everyone who waved to me. Being Captain of the Guard meant I was well known, and the fact that crime was nearly non-existent in the city meant I was well loved. As I journeyed to the small home we called our own, set upon a precipice of rock so that I could watch the city from home if so I chose, I noticed a small Felis attempting to follow me.

Not wanting to lead him to where I lived, I began to lead him on a random path, hoping I could either lose him or perhaps get the help of the guardsmen on duty in apprehending him. After about an hour of turning and taking back alleys, I managed to lose him. As I began to head back in the direction of my home, I passed the same Felis on the street. When I stopped to ask him who he was, he looked at me, malice shining in his cat's eyes and replied:

"My condolences for your loss," and stalked away with the sinewy grace of his kind. Too confused to follow, I set off for home.

As I climbed the path to my house, I called out "Mel! I'm home, love!" the same I do every day, but there was no answer.

Unsettled by the Felis' comment, I paused, sniffing the air, looking for anything out of place. The smell of blood nearly overwhelmed me, and I ran quickly to the door and rushed inside. The flowers fell to the floor. Forgotten. Unheeded at the sight of my beloved lying on the ground with her throat slit. Gagging, I cradled her lifeless body in shock, rocking back and forth as though in a dream. After a few moment passed, I noticed a message on the wall in her blood. "A warning." A simple sentence, but one that carried great weight.

It was written above a symbol that looked like a crescent moon, horizontal, crossed by swords. I felt my breath catch as I began to cry. As hot tears began to stream down my chest and fall to the floor, like sorrow crystallized, I could only form three coherent thoughts:

Who did this?

Why would they take my Melani from me?

I would kill them. I would kill them, the same way they murdered my heart and left me dead inside. I would not let this go unavenged. When John and the pups arrived three hours later, they found me in that same position, holding Melani, my dear, sweet Melani, sobbing as though my soul had been ripped from my body.