115 | ununpentium

Start from the beginning

"Jace told me that you've been traveling," Niall spoke up. "Where all have you been?"

I hated this. I hated that he was acting like nothing happened between us - like no time had passed and he wasn't getting married tomorrow. But I also hated myself for missing him so much. I hated that I missed his presence beside me, and I mostly hated that I was still in love with him when he was clearly over me.

"Russia, Spain, Argentina," I responded despite what I was feeling. "Greece and Rome."

His eyes went wide at that. "Really? I bet you liked that since you're really into Greek mythology... Or, at least you were at one point."

I didn't respond and he must have taken the hint to shut up. This couldn't be easy for him; because it sure as hell wasn't for me. He might have moved on, but this, at the very least, must bring back memories of the two of us together and it couldn't have been anything short of painful.

Niall reached out and grabbed the book from the table, reading the title. I knew he remember the story. We had a public argument on it, after all. That was when our two different beliefs really shined, him the cold realist, and me the warm idealist.

He laughed under his breath, his finger tracing the letters on the cover. Then he flipped it open and it landed on a highlighted page. Thinking that I was the first person to open it, I sat up straight and peered over his arm to get a better look.

"Do you believe in coincidences?" Niall asked suddenly.

I sat back and mused over his question for a moment, wondering where he was trying to get at. "I haven't really thought about it."

Niall stared at the page. "Would you believe me if I told you that I sat in this very spot, looking at this very page... six years ago?"

Confused, I leaned toward him and looked at whatever had him so absorbed and lost in his head. In the middle of the page, a single passage was highlighted.

I don't know if life is greater than death. But love was more than either.

To me, this was just a book I had randomly taken off the shelf. But clearly there was more history to this than I would have ever thought. Niall sat here six years ago? Was he the one who highlighted the passage?

But I didn't question Niall about any of those inquiries. Instead, I asked, "Are you telling me that, Niall Horan, the boy I once knew to be the biggest analytical, believes in fate?"

Then, ever so softly, he smiled. "You out of anyone had taught me that I can't narrow everything down to a science."

That was all we needed to break the ice, just a reminder that we were two beings made up of molecules and oxygen that were once attracted to each other.

We talked about our lives, Niall telling me all about his professional soccer career as a player on the Republic of Ireland; his favorite team since he was a kid. Told me how he's been in constant contact with his brother and sees Theo once a month, explaining that the little guy has grown up to be a sports fanatic like him. His mom is still on the fence about him playing soccer, but now that he's actually making some good money from joining a team, she's a little open minded. It was that or she finally came to her senses and took my advice the first time I met her. But probably not.

I told him that I traveled to meet newly engaged couples and offer my services to take their engagement or wedding pictures for half of what other companies were doing. I was doing something good for people to cherish their memories without breaking the bank, and while it wasn't enough to get me by, but it made others happy.