004 | beryllium

× Mercury

The first thing you notice when you meet Jamie Shore is that she's tiny, like, really tiny. I'm serious. If for whatever reason I needed someone to get inside a dumbwaiter, I would go straight to Jamie (although, it might take some convincing since there would probably be spiders, and Jamie hates spiders). Being so short and small will automatically make people underestimate you, which, for Jamie, is a good thing on the soccer field considering she had the strength of someone who shouldn't that only stood at 4'11".

But unfortunately, not so good for me as she dragged me through the front door of the frat house like a bulldozer, booming music beating through my body.

"I don't want to be here," I whined even though I was fighting a fight I would ultimately lose. "Can we just hang out at Angie's place so I can pet her cat?"

Jamie laced her arm threw mine and led me through the house. "Why do you have to be so difficult all the time? You're just saying that because those guys will be here."

"It's not them specifically. Just... one of them."

She cocked a perfect eyebrow at me. "Oh? And why is that?"

I ignored her and looked around the room, my eyes wide as I searched for the blonde and blued eyed boy of my freaking nightmares. I wanted to answer her, but I had absolutely no reason to dislike Niall. It might have to do with the reason that he barely gave me any recognition when his Coach introduced him, or for the fact that his eyes seemed to automatically squint in irritation whenever he looked at me, or maybe it was because the only motivation of him coming to this party was to deliberately annoy me.

Actually, those seemed like pretty good reasons to dislike him, but I couldn't seem to get them out of my mouth to tell her so.

"It's the blonde guy with the blue eyes," I ended up telling her as we made our way into the kitchen. Jamie grabbed two red solo cups and handed one to me. I looked at the cup in her hand, debating if I should have any. After the day I had, I deserved a drink. But I declined nevertheless. "He's arrogant and stuck up," I continued. "Or at least that's what I got out of him when we met."

I had already told the team who the boys were and how they were a soccer team in London and that Coach Mathews brought them to California to see us play. They agreed that it was odd to fly all the way across the world to just see us, but they couldn't think of a legit alternative.

"Well," Jamie said, taking a drink of her beer and setting the one she handed me back on the counter. "The black haired one on the team is really cute. And he's right over there, so if you don't mind, I'm going to go talk to him."

"They're here?" I asked, my panic rising. I thought maybe I could find an escape rout before they arrived - I was desperate enough to climb out the bathroom window on the second floor and scale the roof if I needed to. But it seemed like I didn't have that option, I was too late.

"Yeah," Jamie smiled and started making her way through the doorway of the kitchen. A few feet beyond I saw the black haired guy watching her with a smirk. She looked over her shoulder at me. "And for the record, the one you were just talking about is in the dining room. His eyes never left you once you walked through the front door," she teased before disappearing with the boy.

An upbeat pop song was playing through the house. The night was still young but as I walked through room to room - purposely avoiding the dining room - people were already making out on the couch and grinding to the music erotically. College parties never amused me (it just seemed very unsanitary, if you know what I mean) but the atmosphere was always so light and nothing seemed more injuring than that right then.