They Only Come when it Rains

Start bij het begin

...but what she thought - what would hurt her most is if Artemis felt that way. All she wanted was her friend back, and a boy. Someone nice, someone good looking. Not Rick. Never anyone like Rick The Dick.

Rick was an asshole.

The Team Captain of The Wolves, he was cool as though the word were invented for him. He had a part time job cleaning hallways at Hillside Driftwood, and for a swab, he made pretty decent wages. Always had a little money to throw around. He dressed well, smoked export cigarettes, and she could not deny that understood his appeal.

There were nights... oh God, were there ever. Nights here she wished she could be Artemis, in his arms. Nights where she imagined she was.

The quarrel she had with Artemis began as a single sprig of jealousy. It began when she asked her friend what it was like.

What it was like. Sex. Not just sex, but sex with Rick the Dick. Did he have right to the name? Was it big?

Did it hurt?

The more detail Artemis described, the more she began to hate her - hate her best friend since diapers - for something she had no right for to hate. Artemis was pretty. Talia was pretty - could be pretty if she put the effort in - and either one of them (both of them) deserved to be happy.

It was all they wanted growing up; to be noticed; to move out of the caste of the unknowns; to be more than just two faceless girls less known than the people who were unfortunate enough to be bullied.

At least someone recognized they existed.

It all seemed so stupid now, so silly.

The last year of high school... Artemis in yearbook, and she in the school newspaper. It could have been their year to make a mark, and Talia's petty jealousy cost her a part in it... a part Artemis wanted to share.

Red faced, in the safety of her crying stall, Tali pulled tissue from the toilet paper roll, and wiped her eyes, and then blew her nose.

Talia heard the Tali?" Artemis' voice

Shit. Shit-shit-shit-shitty-shit-shit-shit!

Talia pulled her legs up and planted get feet on the toilet seat, and held her breath.

She listened to Artemis' high heeled boot falls as they clacked against the tiled bathroom floor. They stopped at her stall, and the door stopped against the stall lock as Artemis gave it a gentle push.

"Talia, I know you're​ in there. Last stall to tell wall since kindergarten. You always have a designated bathroom, and a designated crying stall."

"Go away Artemis, Artemis Pickett."

"You didn't get my middle name in there, Tali. I can't be in that much trouble."

Talia scowled. "Artemis Rachael Pickett. Go away." Please don't go away.

Artemis was leaning against the stall door with her back to it, the same way she used to when they were little... and then less little... and then a those times in middle school.

Silence hung in the air.

"Why are you mad at me?"

"Fuck you, Artemis Rachael Pickett. Get off my crying stall, get out of my bathroom, and get out of my life."
Oh, my God. Artemis please don't listen to my stupid idiot mouth. Help me, Artemis, help me!

Artemis slid down the stall door and sat on the bathroom floor. Talia heard her take a deep breath and hold it. Then she was crying, too... and Artemis was not a quiet crier.