「Before the Wish」

—Before the Wish (Reading Volume 4)——Third Person—

Before the Wish (Reading Volume 4)
—Third Person—

During an old, ordinary day, before Skylar and Aly found themselves living with the Sohmas...

"I don't understand why you keep doing this!" Derek spat, crowding her.

Aly sighed, closing the fourth volume of Fruits Basket a little too forcefully, and looked up at the culprit. "Doing what exactly?" she asked sharply.

While Aly wasn't usually in the business of making people angry, she was irritated. All she wanted to do was read—she just wanted to read—so why was she stuck dealing with this guy? It was getting to the good part! It wasn't like it was her fault this guy came up and started talking to her out of the blue. She wasn't even sure what she had done—did she do anything?—but was it worth him interrupting her?

"Acting like this!" he said, waving his hands frantically over her, like her existence was the problem. "Why can't you fucking talk sometimes? Like, damn, I'm just trying to be nice, but you're ignoring me!"

She stared at him blankly. Skylar and her already had someone they nicknamed 'Nice Guy,' but this brute whose face she couldn't place wasn't him even though he used one of his favorite lines. In fact, she wasn't sure who this guy was. Was he an upperclassman? Some eleventh grader come to hit on her? When had he appeared anyway?

He fumed, gnashing his teeth. Clearly, she had managed to make him angrier with her silence.

Out of nowhere, however, a tennis ball hit the dark-haired boy in the head, causing him to growl and look around, searching for the culprit.

"Whoops!" Skylar was waving at him, face the picture of pure innocence. "I didn't mean to hit you! Are you okay!?"

He glared at her. "What the hell was that!?"

She smiled apologetically, but Aly caught the hard edge. "I'm so sorry! I was playing with a couple of friends, but I'm awful at it and accidentally threw it in the wrong direction!"

He sputtered, cussing at her some more, before storming off.

Skylar's smile faltered as she let out a breath. "I thought he was going to kill me!"

Aly shook her head, whacking Skylar's arm playfully. "You're such an idiot."

"Hey~" she whined. "That's not very nice, Als. It's not my fault I can't play tennis to save my life!"

"That's the thing," Aly said, looking pointedly at Skylar. "No one we know plays tennis."

The smirk that spread on her face confirmed what Aly had figured. Without the slightest bit of remorse, Skylar said, "Whoops~"

Aly simply shook her head.

—x—

Welp

Welp. I said they'd get longer last time there was a Before the Wish chapter, but this one is actually shorter. I didn't want to spend too much time setting up this scene, though, since it's pretty straightforward~ Besides, my favorite chapter of this volume is coming up, so we can't take time away from that, can we?

Happy reading~(: