「Chapter 06」

First Day of School (and Other Firsts )
—Skylar—

"Um... Miss Aly?" Tohru tries. "Miss Aly?"

Aly barely stirs, though, rolling over and tucking herself deeper into the covers.

I grin evilly. "That's not gonna cut it, Tohru," I tell her. "Listen, this is the only way, okay? I know you want to be nice, but she's far too stubborn when it comes to sleep, and she stayed up late last night with me, so~"

"It's just... you seem to be enjoying this, Miss Skylar," she says.

"Oh, I am," I say. "And you should call me Skylar. We're not strangers~"

"Oh, uh, okay, Skylar."

"Now that that's settled, should I tip it slowly or all at once because I—"

Aly shoots out of bed before I can do anything. "I'm up, I swear!"

I smirk down at her, the ice water in my hands clinking against the glass. "Oh, good. Record timing, my dear~"

She glares at me as she tosses the covers off of herself. "Have I told you how much I hate you?"

I laugh, throwing her uniform at her. "I love you too~ Now, get ready and get downstairs."

"Bossy," she grumbles.

I laugh again, heading out of the room with Tohru in tow behind me.

I had woken up before the alarm this morning because I was extremely excited for school today, so I got dressed in the Kaibara High uniform they sent us yesterday and headed downstairs to get help with the tie. No one but Tohru and Shigure were up, though, so Tohru helped me with it, and I decided I wanted to wake Aly up. Tohru, of course, was uneasy with the idea of splashing water on her, so she wanted to try shaking her awake first, and here we are.

"Are you sure that was okay?" Tohru checks as we walk down the stairs.

"Don't worry about it~ Aly and I have been friends for years, and in those years, I've learned a simple fact: she's the worst when it comes to waking up. Because of that, I've had to get creative, or we'd always be late for school~"

She stops, looking at me. "Did you just remember something, Skylar?"

I stop too, cursing myself internally. Quickly, I blink like I'm confused. "Oh. I guess... I guess I did."

"Don't worry," she says kindly. "I'm sure you'll remember!"

I smile at her. "Thank you."

She nods and goes to make everyone's lunch.

I kick myself a bit for being an idiot before following her, offering to help until we're ready to go.

Eventually, Aly joins us, fussing with the tie of the uniform too. "Can someone help me with this?" she asks.

"I can~" Shigure says, stepping into the kitchen.

"Thank you," Aly says, smiling gratefully at him.

He walks over to her and unbuttons the first few buttons of her shirt. "It'll be tight around your neck," he explains.

Just then, Yuki walks in. He's fully dressed in the school uniform, but he still looks like he just crawled out of bed: messy hair and heavy eyes.

"Good morning, Yuki," Aly says, instantly brightening.

He yawns. "Morning," he says absently, glancing at her. He does a double-take, though, before slamming his fist into Shigure. "Perverted dog."