Ministry Of Magic Officials

Ludovic "Ludo" Bagman: Ludovic is from Gaelic for "devotee of the Lord." Ludo also is Latin for "I play." (He headed the Department of Magical Sport and Games.) In British slang, a bagman is a traveling salesman. In U.S. slang, it means a person who transports cash for a criminal operation. Ludo was a secret gambler who threw away his money.

Bartemius Crouch Jr./Sr.: Crouch means to bend the knees and get close to the ground. Someone crouching may be hiding. Both Crouches did have something to hide in The Goblet of Fire. Bartemius: This name is somewhat like Bartholemew, meaning "hill" or "furrow."

Cornelius Fudge: Cornelius is an Irish name that means "horn colored" or "strong-willed and wise." Fudge is a rich sugar, milk, butter and flavoring. It also takes a more serious definition: (1) to fake or falsify; (2) to evade; (3) to be indecisive. There were times when Fudge did behave like this as head of the Ministry of Magic.

Bertha Jorkins: Victim of Lord Voldemort. Her first name means "intelligent" or "shining." Ironic first name, as she was gossipy, forgetful and not always wisely cautious about danger. Jorkins may be from Mr. Jorkins, a character in Charles Dickens' David Copperfield and A Christmas Carol.