Chapter 6

Niall’s POV

I come to a complete halt when she tells me I’m the cutest and runs off. Zayn and Liam catch up to me from where they were walking behind us. “Close your mouth dude, you’re drooling” Liam says jokingly, tapping my chin. I shut my mouth, not even having realized my jaw had dropped at her comment.

“So what do you think?” Zayn asks me raising his eyebrow. “She’s not quite what you expected is she? You two seem to on quite well”

I nod feeling the heat rise up in my cheeks. It was amazing to think that this girl was the one we were meeting because she is dying. She seemed so bright; so full of life. I watch as she swings from a branch, laughing at something Harry said. It didn’t seem fair at all that her life was being snatched from her.

We catch up to the rest of them as they wait for us hanging from trees. “Took you long enough” Rachel says with a smile sticking her tongue out at us as she hops down from her tree. She stumbles a little and I quickly reach out to steady her. “Thanks” she breathes, looking up at me, her arm resting on mine with my other hand around her waist. She smells like strawberries. My breath hitches as I look into her eyes. They were as deep as the ocean. I feel myself leaning in, my eyes fluttering closed, when I suddenly hear a wolf whistle. My eyes snap open and she jolts back, out of my grasp. I meet her eyes, a look of confusion in hers that could only be mirroring my own. I look over in time to see Zayn smack Harry on the side of his head. The other boys are looking at us curiously and I can feel my face heat up under their gaze.

Rachel clears her throat and we all turn to look at her where she was blushing furiously. I guess she had been just as caught up as I was. “The clearing is right over there” she says pointing over her shoulder and begins walking in that direction. We follow behind her but when we appear in the clearing all of us freeze. It was breathtaking. There were wildflowers covering the field of every color. Butterflies were fluttering all over the place. There was a little creek off in the corner of the clearing that headed back into the forest. It looked like it came right out of the folklore stories from back home. As I look around, I see Rachel standing in the middle of the field. She opens her arms wide and collapses into the grass with a smile on her face.