Shower

Mina squinted her eyes as she stared up at the sun. She remembered being human. How much fun the beach was, getting a nice summer tan and playing in the ocean. Her mother yelling at her to apply more sunblock and not to go too far out into the water, lest she drown. It was funny to her now, that her mother was so scared of losing her to drowning. She had been so careless as a child. She had never been scared of the water. If her mother would have warned her more about strangers, maybe she wouldn't have become the monster she was today. But maybe it was her fate to become a vampire and be by Momo's side. At least she had been able to prevent her from becoming a vampire, since sh couldn't do the same for herself.

       Mina hadn't seen her mother in years. Once she had turned into a bloodsucking monster, she ran away from home. Without even saying goodbye. She wondered how frightened her mother must have been, that her daughter disappeared without a trace. At least she hadn't turned up dead, maybe she was still holding out hope that Mina would return home.

      Mina frowned as she rolled over in the sand and turned her gaze over to Momo. The other woman had fallen asleep on the beach. Her lips were slightly parted as she breathed in and out in slow, deep breaths. Mina moved closer to the girl and ran her fingers through the long locks of her hair. She brushed her hand over Momo's face, knocking off the sand that was resting there.

      Momo's eyes fluttered open and she looked over to meet Mina's gaze. They stared back at one another for a few moments before Momo sat up, knocking Mina's hand away from her skin. She squinted up at the sun and let out a yawn.

      "What time is it?" Momo asked. She stood up and searched her pockets for her phone. After checking the time she reached a hand out to Mina. "Come on. It won't be long before the sun turns you into a pile of ashes. It's already giving me a headache."

      Mina gratefully took Momo's hand and hoisted herself to her feet.

      "Is it almost time for us to meet up with Jihyo and Nayeon?"

       Momo nodded her head in confirmation and led the way back to the hotel. She needed a shower, her hair was coated with sand. She couldn't believe she had fallen asleep on the beach. As they walked into the hotel, Momo realized that Mina was still holding onto her hand. She looked over at the girl, who was smiling to herself like a fool. Momo couldn't help but think that was kind of cute, however, she didn't want to give Mina the wrong impression.

      Momo slipped her hand out of Mina's and pushed the button to call the elevator. From the side of her eye, Momo noted that Mina's expression had not changed in the slightest.

      "I hope we find Sana soon," Mina said quietly as they stepped into the elevator. "I'm afraid if it takes too much longer she's going to amass an army here. There are so many clubs just ripe for the picking. I don't know if she'll be able to control herself. Who know.... In a couple of days it may be impossible to step onto the Busan streets without being confronted by a vampire."

      "I think you're over thinking it. Sana didn't do that back in Japan, why would she do that here?"

      "Because here, in Busan, is where the largest vampire coven already exists. Lee Minhyuk doesn't care to control the vampires here. In Japan, the Leaders do their best to keep the vampires in line. They don't want to draw attention to themselves. But the vampires here, they are power hungry. They would do anything to make the human race their slaves," Mina said as they walked out of the elevator and to their hotel rooms. "I hate to say it, but the hunters here are not that great. They let a single vampire come into power, and they can't even find him. At least in Japan, the Leaders contact us on a monthly basis, giving us the whereabouts of out of control vampires. They work with us more than against us. But here, in Korea, it's different. They have no means of communicating with the vampire population. They have made every last one of them their enemy. Even the ones who would never kill a person are left scared of what the hunters will do to them."