Wake Up Exhausted

Momo awoke from a deep sleep. She sat up slowly on the bed, her body aching from head to toe as if she had been laying in one spot for a week straight. The bedroom was shrouded in darkness with just a hint of sunlight peeking through the drawn curtains. She looked over at the alarm clock beside the bed and sighed. It was three in the afternoon. She couldn't remember the last time she had slept in so late. She reached for her phone which she usually kept beside her on the bed, but no matter where she grabbed her hands brought back nothing but air. With another sigh she hoisted herself out of bed to go in search of her phone.

Her search led her through the cramped apartment and to the kitchen counter. She frowned as she dug through her purse. She couldn't remember ever setting her bag on the counter, not once. She found her photo be at last and went to unlock it but the screen only displayed to her that the battery was dead. Mimi's shoulders slumped in defeat. Already it seemed it was going to be another day of things not going her way.

She started across the room to open the curtains, let in some sunshine to maybe brighten her day.

She pulled the curtains only to immediately be met with an overwhelming sense of regret. Where the sunlight touched her skin it burned, like when you accidentally touch a hot burner on a stove top. She hissed in pain and quickly ducked behind the blinds, pulling them shut in the process and once again shrouding the room in near darkness.

Momo was panting in a panic, unable to catch her breath or straighten out her thoughts. She was confused and in pain. Tears stung at her eyes but she was too distracted to bother with wiping them away. What was wrong with her? In that moment she vaguely remembered meeting a girl at the bar... but not much else could be grasped from that memory.

Momo scrambled to the couch, pressing her body hard against the cushions as if she could will herself to sink into it completely, becoming one with the couch so she wouldn't have to deal with this predicament she had found herself in. Remembering her phone, she plugged it into the charger she kept near the couch. She held the phone tightly in her grasp, waiting for it to come back to life.

The first thin she noticed upon her phone lighting up to display the home screen was the date. A week had passed since the worst day of her life and the evening she couldn't remember. Her mouth hung open, aghast. How was this possible? She had been sleeping for a week! She opened her phone to see she had missed only two phone calls and she had only one unread message. She felt big disheartened and relieved that no one seemed to be all that concerned about her whereabouts.

She opened the text message:

Call this number. They have the answers you're looking for. Also, have no fear. You are not one of us.

Two Years Later...

"There was an incident in Tokyo. We've already sent ahead two agents but we haven't heard back from them in twelve hours. They were supposed to contact us every two hours with news on the situation. We tracked the GPS in their cell phones, but..." The man who stood at the front of the conference table narrowed his eyes. "They've been stationary for much too long. We're not completely sure if anything is wrong or not. We'll be sending in a team of two to confirm the situation."

Momo perked up at the mention of them sending in another team. She'd been training for two years at the UV Institute, a place that focuses on education and training vampire hunters. Yes, now Momo was a vampire hunter. After the incident two years ago she had wanted to get revenge and the best place to start was with a company that focused solely on taking out vampires, whether they be solo predators or large gangs growing in the under belly of Japan.