F O U R T Y N I N E

Start from the beginning

The first night we spent at the apartment, I finally had her in the same bed as me. When she stayed at the hotel with Niall, I slept on the couch. I couldn't stand the thought of sleeping in this bed without her. I actually resented going to sleep. Because all I wanted to do was experience her. Look at her, talk to her, kiss her, touch her... But she passed out after I kept her up for a few more hours than I should've.

"I'd love to, if it means getting into your pants at the end of the night," she blurts, tugging at my pants. My eyes widen, and I laugh slightly, caught off guard by her comment. She starts giggling, leaning her forehead against my chest.

"Wear your purple shirt," she says as she recovers from her outburst of laughter. She kisses me again.

"Why?" I ask, my whole body tingling from her lips.

"Because... I want us to match."

•

I stare at myself in the mirror, drops of water rolling down my body. I just got out of the shower, and now I'm looking at the ridiculous grin I can't seem to wipe off.

She was just in here before me, and it smells of her perfume. She took off the bandage that was wrapped around her waist, and it showed the small stitched up wound. It will become a small scar. A sexy as hell one.

That is all that will be left on her skin from this wild time. All the challenges she faced, what she lost... it all resulted in a small scar, just below her chest.

I put on cologne and dry my body with a small towel, before wrapping it around my waist. I get out of the bathroom, and into the bedroom and I realize she isn't there. I walk straight out, and into the living room, the kitchen...

She isn't there.

"Claire!" I shout.

"What!" She yells back from my office, and I lean back on one of the stools that rests beside the counter. She walks out, with a confused look in her eyes.

"I- I'm sorry, I just- I thought you were..." I say, a bit out of breath. She walks up to me quickly, hugging me tight.

"I'm right here," she whispers into my ear, calming me.

"I'm right here," she repeats, and I feel my heartbeat slow down again. I take a deep breath, and I hold her close.

"I'm here, and I love you, and I'm never leaving you ever again," she insists, and I feel a tinge of guilt as she presses my body against hers. There are episodes where I panic like this, at the smallest things. She repeats that exact sentence till I calm down, and I don't know when I won't be paranoid like this. I just... lost her so many times.

"Now go get dressed, we're gonna miss the dinner reservations you made," she says, slapping my bottom on top of the towel. I walk to the bedroom, resenting leaving her embrace. I put on my purple shirt, black dress pants and black dress shoes to match. This is our first date in weeks, and tonight is a special night.