Chapter 30

"She needs lots of rest. She is not accustomed to this smog."

She lay still listening to her father talk with the physician.

She gasped and wheezed trying to control her breathing as they spoke amongst themselves. The sensation of fire in her throat was bothersome but there was nothing more to do but drink water.

She slowly reached for a glass of the refreshing liquid and pressed it to her lips with savoring sips. Grateful for the cooling relief on her scratchy throat, she slightly glanced at the expanse of the room. She sat in the large four-poster bed. Not an unfamiliar bed. This was her bed. Her room.

She lowered her gaze then to the glass and concentrated on the water. It made her think of the Floating Vengeance, its crew, and Justin.

He would have reached Surrey hours ago. By now he would be attending to his affairs and setting things right to return for her. So that they can get married. She swallowed hard. Her fingers shook as she replaced her water glass on the nightstand.

He was gone but he will return as he promised. She will wait for him at all costs. A slight tap at the door pulled her away from her thoughts. the bedchamber door eased open. Her father entered, bearing a tray with delicious-smelling food.

"How are you feeling?" he smiled.

"Much better," She sat up and straightened against the pillows, and accepted the tray.

She salivated at the sight of so many of her old favorite foods, many of which she hadn't had since leaving England. Many of the palates on the tropical island was fresh fruits and legumes. Much of it hard to come by on this side of the world due to the weather.

Her stomach rumbled in anticipation. She hadn't eaten in more than a day. "I'm famished." Her father pulled up a chair and chuckled as she reached for a scone.

"Eat. You must get your strength back."

He watched her in silence. With a saddened gaze he observed her.

Tempest lowered a half-eaten pastry. "What's wrong? Why do you look at me so papa?"

His eyes lowered for a moment before he began to speak.

"I was worried we would never see you again." He whispered.

She stared at the tray before her and listened to him.

"Did they?" he began. "Were you....hurt?" he looked at her with red-rimmed eyes filled with anguish.

She prayed he did not see the answer in her eyes as she thought of Josephine and what Cuthburts men did.

"No papa," she said hoarsely.

She looked away slightly. Not wanting to look at him as she spoke of Justin.
"I was rescued by another ship," she began.

"The Floating Vengeance?" Her father breathed.

She nodded slowly.

He remained silent for sometime. His gaze was fleetingly sad and filled with worry. He focused on her then with an earnest gaze.
"Did he?... He paused. Then lowered his face to stroke his beard. "Did he hurt you?"

Her cheeks warmed remembering her time with Justin at sea. How could she explain to her father what had happened? That she fell in love with a notorious pirate. That she had offered herself to him with no reservation and will await his return so they can be married.

Her heart raced at the thought.

Her eyes raised to his. She dared not. She could not.

"No papa. He..... saved me," she whispered.