Nightmares, Panic, & Graduation

The following week, every time I get in the car I panic. Even the accident tortures me in my dreams, I see the crash all over again. Green, brown, blue is all I see. The dirt, trees, and a piece of sky haunt me. I cannot close my eyes without seeing that scene. I am scared to get in a car even though I drove my mom's car the week after my wreck. It was only to my friends' band concert and back, but I felt fine. The familiar curves and turns, it was normal. But after that, I started freaking out every time I rode in a car.

The night of graduation finally approaches, and I am glad I can walk to get my diploma. After we throw our hats in the air, someone hands me mine, because I couldn't find it. I take like a million pictures with every one of my friends and family, then I see him standing towards the 50-yard line. I start running over to where he is standing. He is with Kirby and her grandmother taking pictures. I yell his name louder than I should have, "Caleb!" He turns towards me and gives me the same familiar smile from the day of my wreck.

As soon as I reach him, he picks me up while hugging me. I love this kind of hug, I think to myself as I press my face into his shoulder. No words need to be spoken, the long tight hug speaks volumes. We did not even think of taking a picture, this memory was enough for me. I am so happy he came. "I'm so glad you came tonight!" I whisper in his ear.

He whispers back, "I am, too, sis." No matter what he always comes to see his best friend who is like his little sister. I have many guy friends like that, but I think he is my favorite.

He puts me down and Kirby, my best friend since middle school, is staring at us. But quickly starts smiling. I embrace her in the tightest hug I can manage. We stop hugging because she wants to talk pictures. So, we start taking selfies; one with me and her then me and Shaw, our best friend. Her grandmother stands off to the side waiting to take some pictures with her camera. We pose for a couple more pictures and laugh at each other raving about how we just graduated.