Chapter 19: The Forsaken Land

Depuis le début

"I don't just let anyone in my room. You were out of your mind last night, drinking with the Captain and sneaking into other people's bedroom. Can you imagine what worse things that could happen?" He started, his voice was serious and cold.

"You didn't lock your door. And I didn't know that it's your cabin," I said in defense. I felt like I was in a trial and I needed to save myself from judgment.

"And what if I did lock the door? You would've entered Owain's door or another pirate's room and fell on their bed! Or that old Drakon would consider you worthy of his lust and took advantage of your stupidity!"

He was almost shouting. I slowly put back the coffee on the tray while listening to him. He was worse than the elders in the East Land who would discuss how I should act like a lady as the daughter of the leading family of the East. So I was really eating sermon for breakfast.

"I am under the Skull's protection," I answered weakly. It seemed that being under the Skull's protection was my solution to everything.

He sat on the bed in front of me; frustration was in his eyes and said, "What if I couldn't protect you from me? What if I couldn't resist the temptation and devour you like a savage, hungry wolf? Last night, I almost lost my mind and –"

He stopped from speaking and watched me as I covered my ears. How could he say these things to me? I felt uncomfortable and awkward when he continued staring at me. I dropped my hands and turned to another direction.

"I'm sorry, okay? I'm regret trespassing into your room. It won't happen again," I said shyly.

When he didn't say anything and continued staring at me, I grabbed the coffee and sipped, pretending that I was busy doing something aside from being uncomfortable in his presence. I shouldn't let him know his stares could affect me this much.

"What?" I finally said when I couldn't bear the intensity of his gaze.

He shook his head and stood up. "Nothing. It's just that – you're still a blushing tomato after all this time."

And with that, he left the room with my mouth gaped open as if I was stung with his mere words. I thought he had become more manly and seriously different ever since he chose the pirate world. But it turned out that he was still the childish Threy who would play with my embarrassment and pick on my blushing cheeks.

After I ate my breakfast half-heartedly, I felt the Obsidian dock on an island. The voices of the pirates were joined by the distant voices of people and I knew then that it wouldn't be so different from the Borgian Island. I looked around the room and wondered if I should stay here for a little bit longer. Threy's room, even though quite spacious and fancier than probably most of the cabins here in Obsidian, had almost nothing in it aside from the weapons and other men's belongings. I knew I wouldn't find anything that would interest me. That was when I decided to walk out of his room to go back to my cabin.

The noises became louder and it felt nearer than the distant voices I heard inside. I started to walk on the unfamiliar hallway and turned on the corner where I saw my cabin few doors from me. A couple of pirates were approaching from the dining area below and regarded me with their mischievous grins. An image of me smiling broadly to every pirate last night flashed on my mind and I couldn't help the blush that was starting to creep on my cheeks. I should never drink again!