The Birth Of A New Hate

Arinlas stood still. He breathed lightly while his eyes scanned the forest floor below.

Below him a dead, brittle, dry branch snapped. Arinlas looked down and peered through the foliage to find a large elk trotting around aimlessly below him. He stared down at the elk waiting for the right moment to strike. With bow in hand, he hopped to a lower branch on the tree, still working out how he would kill this beautiful beast.

Quickly, the elk wandered into the brush and Arinlas followed. He bounded from tree to tree with grace, swinging like an ape through them, keeping up with the majestic creature.

Suddenly the trees parted and there was a small opening; a miniature meadow. Grasses and flowers filled the small patch of open land. It was a perfect feeding ground for deer of all types.

The elk stopped between the trees and looked out at the lush field curiousley, then dawdled out and grazed on the moist plants. Arinlas' opportunity was there. A walking meal, ready to be taken.

The Elf descended the tree quietly. He crouched down low so that he wouldn't draw the elk's attention. Slowly, he made his way through the crowd of tree trunks and to the edge of the small pasture where the rays of the sun flooded his eyes and warmed his skin. His pitch black eyes glistened under the sunshine while his golden hair fluttered in the breeze. Arinlas lifted his wooden bow off his back and drew an iron arrow, painted with a poison toxic only the the elk. He aimed and-

"Brother!" A voice called. The elk became startled and fled. Arinlas, now annoyed at the loss of his meal, sheathed his bow and arrow.

"Linthír! Brother you just cost us tonights meal! Can't you see I was hunting?" Arinlas boomed with anger. "Why are you out here and why are you following me?"

"Well I have not seen you hunt before. You go out one day and you bring back a meal, dead and ready to eat the next. I wanted to know how you do it." Linthír replied. "I'm a warrior, remember. Not a hunter." He added, to which Arinlas sighed.

"Go home brother." Arinlas demanded, staring into his brother's eyes with intent. "Go. Now. Otherwise we'll go hungry tonight and you'll be to blame."

Linthír closed his eyes, sighed and began to walk back into the trees in which their tribe resided. He stopped a few minutes later and sat against a tree miserably. Linthír looked up toward the tree tops as a large, fat squirrel past over the branches above him. Behind the green of the trees was a column of grey and black. He looked at the column, unphased for a second. Then he realised, that column was smoke and smoke means fire.

He gasped, horrified, as the Wood Elves would never burn their forest because that would break their sacred pact with Y'ffre, so quickly ran to the fire's source. It was not as he had expected. His tribe was being burned to the ground! He stared at his sizzling village for a moment and readied his sword, stepping forward when suddenly a hand caught him around his mouth. Linthír squirmed to attempt to free himself. He did so unsuccessfully. The mysterious hand dragged him back into the forest.

"Linthír! Where is Arinlas?" The voice questioned hurriedly.

"Elerin! Sister, you could have told me it was you!" Linthír replied loudly and angrily.

"Silence brother! We need to be quiet, you saw what was out there! Now tell me, where is Arinlas?" she exclaimed in a whisper. Elran their little sister aged fourteen stood shocked behind Elerin, realizing the severity of the situation.

"Out hunting!" Linthír replied quietly. "What's going on?"

"No time. You need to get Arinlas." She said with venom.

With her command Linthir flew off into the forest to where he last saw Arinlas. Three familiar Bosmer came running from the village, all with faces bone white as if death had consumed them. Elerin stopped them. "Thrin. Erlas. Take Elran and your son to Arenthia. Tell them of the devastation here. I'll catch up with you as soon as we're done here." She said handing Erlan over to them. "Auri-El guide you." She said endearingly, sending them on their way. The four rushed into the forest, away from the torment of the ever-burning flames.