Chapter 16

Chapter 16

       My parents bought me a car. That was my graduation gift and I honestly couldn't be more happy. I had been wanting to go out places out of the village recently, and it would be a lot easier driving there than walking or taking the bus.

       That was what I did after they gave it to me.

       Kenny really needed to get away from the village and take a break from everything that happened, and so did I, so I decided to take him into the city, mainly to the mall so we could check out some stores and pig out at the food court.

       There better be a place that sold milkshakes because I was in desperate need of one.

       I should have went to the diner before we left....

       "You know, I probably only come to the city once a year," I said as I pulled into the parking lot of the mall.

       "That's lame," Kenny said. "The city is really cool and there is always a lot of stuff you could do."

       "Says the person who wanted to move away from it," I said, which caused Kenny to sigh. "You never really told me why you wanted to move away. Just that you wanted a fresh start, and you felt like you would be a lot more accepted for who you are in Spruceworth. Did anything happen that made you want to move?"

       "No," Kenny said. "No, of course not. It's just....exactly what you said. I feel a lot more accepted in Spruceworth than I ever would have been living here."

       "Yeah, but did something happen while you were living here that made you feel that way?" I asked.

       Kenny didn't reply as he got out of the car. I sighed and got out of the car as well. Something obviously did happen and I wanted him to tell me so he could talk to someone about it, but I didn't want him to get mad at me for pressuring him.

       "Are there any shops you want to check out?" I asked.

       "The movie shop," Kenny asked. "We need more movies to watch."

       Since that was on the first floor of the mall, that was where we headed to first. However, while we were almost there, Kenny suddenly slowed his pace.

       "What is it?" I asked.

       "Uh, nothing," Kenny said before grabbing my wrist and pulling me into the movie shop.

       "Okay, I'm pretty sure it's something," I said, gently pulling my wrist away. 

       "I just....saw some people I knew when I lived here," Kenny said. "People I went to school with."

       "Kenny, what happened before you moved?" I asked.

       "I don't want to talk about it," Kenny said as he began looking at the movies.

       "Kenny, come on," I said. "Obviously it's bothering you. Don't you want to talk to someone about it?"

       Kenny looked at me for a bit before scanning the movies again. I guess that was a no.

       While we were looking at some movies to buy, a group of four guys suddenly approached Kenny. "Why, if it isn't Kenny Simms," one of them said. "I heard you got arrested for killing someone. Makes a lot of sense."

       "I didn't kill him," Kenny said in a quieter voice than usual. At least now I knew why Kenny wanted to move away. Well, I didn't know the exact reason, but I knew it had to do with these guys. "I would have still been in jail if I did."