Chapter Three: Mr. Evans

*Skylar's POV*

"Where were you bitch?" My father spat.

We were currently seated in the lounge room. Mum was seated next to my father holding his hand, me opposite them. Honestly I couldn't believe that my mum was sitting there holding my dad's hand while he was yelling at me and calling me names, especially after she said she would try harder now. She was just as pathetic as I thought she was.

Rolling my eyes I responded "Out for fresh air" I shrugged waiting for more yelling. I just prayed that all the yelling my father was doing wouldn't wake Trent up because that's when everything would turn into complete shit.

"Don't you fucking speak to me like that slut" Here we go. I knew I shouldn't have gone too far and gotten myself lost.

From there I zoned out, not wanting to listen to him any longer because he would just be calling me names and yelling things that barely made any sense at all.

"Darling just calm down" They were the four words that ripped me of my thoughts. My mums soft voice. She spoke up and I just looked at her with awe, as if she had just done the most amazing thing in the world. She actually said something.

You see you may not find this surprising but I do because my mum never spoke let alone made a noise when my father would yell or hurt her or me.

My mum glanced at me and smiled sadly, before she turned and spoke up again.

"Stop calling our daughter names. She is just a teenager Jacob" My mother spoke confidently and gritted each word through her teeth.

A single tear escaped my eye, though it wasn't one of sadness, it was a tear of happiness. I was happy that my mum finally stood up for me, something she hadn't done in such a fucking long time.

"You of everyone should shut up before I start calling you the names that you and your daughter deserve" He spat each word out. I didn't know what he meant when he said 'your daughter' because technically I was 'his' daughter as well. I shrugged it off, deciding on asking my mother about it later.

"I'm done here for tonight. Miranda in my office in an hour" He stood, walking straight out of the room and up the stairs - to his office I am assuming- while I just stared at my mum blankly. This was too much to process and there was some hidden message behind everything my dad was saying lately. Me being me, I forgot about the name calling and just worried about trying to decode my father's words.

No matter how many time I attempted to decode his words, in my head, I just couldn't get it. I mean because I didn't have many friends back home I was smart - a nerd - thats what they called me back home.

FUCK!

Talking about friends I totally forgot to ring Chas. Groaning I threw my hands up to my face. I felt the cushion next to me, dip. I felt a warm hand rubbing my back, that's when I turned to see my mother.

"I am so sorry" That was all my mum said before my vision became blury. I refused to let the tears fall, especially in front of mum. So instead I wrapped my arms around my mum, like I used to do when I was little. Her warm embrace had always seemed to calm me and I hadn't done it in a while, almost forgetting how comforting her embrace was.

I felt my mum tensed before she relaxed and wrapped her arms around me protectively. "It's ok, I am here for you now"

I have no idea how long we stayed like that but when I pulled away, I felt drained of all the energy I once had. I know that my mum was trying to mend her mistakes but I wasn't going to let her off easily, only because I have saved her ass for too long now.