Chapter 25

Serena’s POV

Whenever I fly I always ask for a window seat. Seeing the world from above gives you a different perspective on the world. Patterns emerge, nature shines and cities feel colossal. But at this moment, the only thing that is on my mind is the person I left behind – the people I left behind. 

Here I sit, empty seats next to me, trying to mute out the obnoxious voices of the airhostesses pestering me, questioning whether I would like a drink, or some type of dried fruit. They were constantly asking if there was anything else they could get me, but the one thing I actually wanted, they weren’t ever able to give to me.

As I eventually decided to open up the window shade, and peak my head out to see the beautiful scenery of the New York skyline, I become mesmerised by the city that I had left for three weeks. I momentarily forget about everything that was boggling my mind and I I purely looked out at Manhattan from the sky, mesmerised on how it looks so neat and tidy thousands of metres up in the air, but the streets are lined with the finest details inside that it would simply give you a headache comprehending it.

Just as I had landed, I had called one of my good friends from University, Bianca; asking whether she was able to pick me up, but of course she was at school and would arrive too late, alternatively meeting me at my place; which of course, would resort to me having to catch the train home, but all was forgotten when she told me about this party tonight.

I mean…It couldn’t hurt right, might as well give my heart a break for a couple of hours.

“Next stop will be New York Penn station everyone, New York Penn station.” The muffled sounds of the conductor’s voice echoed throughout the train. Everyone seemed to rise in unison, as if it were rehearsed, to prepare for our arrival. The train comes to a screeching halt, and the hissing of the doors opening reveals Penn station. As I pick up Louis jacket, put it on and disembark from the train on to the pavement, I am suddenly bombarded by a mob of flashes screaming and pure chaos.

You see, as I had said before, not many people had known that I had existed, let alone being related to Harry Styles; so saying that I am scared shitless in coming back to New York would probably be an understatement.

The media only knows that I am someone connected to the boys, they don’t know who, when, what or how… yet anyway.

“Serena what are you doing in New York?”

“Are you and Liam dating?”

“How do you know the boys?”

“We thought you were dating Harry? Are you cheating on Niall Horan then? ”

Ew, these questions were disgusting, and frankly did not make any sense whatsoever… Like seriously where would they get there information from?

People started pushing me to one direction. (Ironic right?)  Forcing me up against the narrow escalator.

I arrive at the top and begin to sprint at first, and then aimlessly wander into the hectic city life of New York.

I had lost the paps for now, but I wouldn’t be hidden forever.

(Which kind of sucks because I never liked playing hide and seek … I mean so much effort was involved in that game…hiding…and seeking… never really appealed to me)

I stopped for a moment just to observe the people in the streets. Many of them were scurrying to get somewhere, talking on the phone, listening to music, and ignoring one another as if they were the only ones here. The men were all dressed in their suits and ties and the women’s high heeled shoes could be heard striking the ground very swiftly one after the other. The enormous skyscrapers tower over me and I can no longer feel the summer sun beating down on my skin.