chapter 1:

"Esmeralda! Wake up!" My foster mother Karen yelled as she shook me.

I sat up in bed quietly and stared at her.

"Get ready, you've got to be at school in a half hour you idiot! And remember, there are people coming over later who are looking to adopt.  Of course it won't be you because who would want to adopt you." She rambled on.

"Yes, ma'am." I said barely above a whisper.

"You know I hate the mumbling!" She yelled before storming out of the room and slamming my door which made me flinch.

I looked to the bed next to me and to no surprise Emily was already awake and probably read.  I left out I sigh of relief as I knew I would have to deal with her this morning.

I walked over to my closet and grabbed one of my oversized black sweaters that had the avenged sevenfold death bat on it, and a pair of denim skinny jeans.

I changed in my room as I didn't want to leave and face everyone else in the house.

Once I was dressed I slid on a pair of tan boots and put on my favorite black knit slouch beanie.

Finally once I was ready I opened my bedroom door and walked down the stairs and into the kitchen where I could hear everyone talking.

They all sat around a table and I quietly walked over to the counter and grabbed a slice of toast and slowly started nibbling on it.

"Well, would you look who's up.  If it isn't little miss nobody!" Emily said as she saw me.

I didn't react as it wasn't even close to being the rudest thing she had ever said to me as she was trying to be slightly nice since our her parents were in the room.

Karen and her husband always liked Emily and Jared more than the rest of us because they were their actual children.

"Emmy, that isn't very nice." Her dad remarked.

"I know, that's why I said it." She replied with a hint of laughter in her voice.

"C'mon kids.  It's time to head off to school.  Esmeralda it's your day to take the bus." Karen said.  Their were only six seats in the van and we had seven people.  So supposedly every day a different kid was supposed to take the bus, but it was always me.

"It's been my day for the last two months." I said and instantly regretted it as she glared at me.

"Sorry, I didn't hear you.  Were you complaining about something?" She asked in a slow voice.

"No, ma'am.  I-I just said that I have to go grab my bag." I quickly walked up to my room and grabbed my bag.  As I made it downstairs I realized the others had left besides my foster dad Bob.

I tried to get out of the house before he noticed that it was just him and I but right as I was about to walk out the door he reached his hand from behind me and shut the door before I could go out.

He set his hand on my shoulder and turned me around pinning me against the door.

"You think you can leave just like that?" He asked his face inches away from mine.

"N-no." I stuttered silently.

"Are you nervous?" He slid his hand around my waist and pulled me closer to him as I struggled to find words.

Luckily I didn't have to as I hear the school bus honk from outside of the house and I quickly walked out leaving him standing there.

I walked on the bus and took my normal seat with no one else around.