Chapter 9

When we arrive back at the Hobbit hole some of the others have already woken up and ate. Bofur and Bifur were trying to get their cousin, Bomber, up. Which required about two or three kicks from each of them.

"We leave soon. Be ready." Thorins voice calls out. We were quiet, to not wake Bilbo, since he was not coming. Balin had convinced Thorin to leave Bilbos contract if he decided to join us. Walking outside, I whistle for my horse, Icepick. She comes trotting up to me and as I pet her snout, feeding her an apple as I load my things in her saddle bags. She's quiet and patient for me to finish. I was about to saddle up when I heard someone walking towards me. I turn my head and see Thorin walking up to me.

"Thorin." I say bowing my head out of respect.

"There is no need for this much respect. We are equals on this quest." He says.

"For now yes. But what about when our journey is finished? Will I return to the simple common life of a dwarf, or will I be treated like a hero?" I question.

"I am sorry, but I do not know. For now, though, we are equals." He says.

"Right." I say. I saddle up on Icepick as the other do the same.

"Let's move on. We've a long journey ahead of us." Thorin calls out in the front of the company. I spur my horse on and fall in the back of the group, next to Fili, Kili and Balin. I was in deep thought about something. I was thinking about my mother. Who she was, what she was like. I've never even met my mother. I wonder if I get my appearance, eyesight, and hearing from her. I was shaken out of my thoughts when I hear my name being called.

"Avilan." I hear. I look up and see Fili watching me.

"Yes?" I ask.

"What your story, eh? My brother told me that you could shoot a pine-cone out of a 20 foot tree." He says.

"He said that?" I ask, feeling my face hear up slightly.

"Haha, yes he did." He says laughing. Kili was up ahead talking to Dwalin and Balin.

"Well you know I was trained by Lord Tholor. Ever since I was able to hold a sword, he had me training." I said.

"What of your family. Parents, siblings?" He asks.

"I only know that my father was a dwarf. I don't know who my mother is and if I have any siblings." I say.

"Hmm. Well I am sorry to hear that." He says.

"Yes, well. What about you. I heard that you were training under your Uncle as a fighter and as future king." I say.

"Yes. Like you, Uncle had me training from the time I could hold a sword." He says.

"So what of your bother, Kili? Doesn't Thorin think that only weaklings and Elves use a bow?"I ask.

"What about you? You have a bow. But anyways, my uncle is actually fairly good with the weapon. A bit ironic, isn't it?" He asks. I let out a small chuckle.

"It seems that way." I reply. We continue talking until we hear something or someone come running up from behind.

"Wait! Wait!" I hear. I turn to see a Hobbit running towards us. Bilbo ran past Fili, Kili, and I and up to Balin. "I've signed it." He says handing Balin a contract. The old dwarf looks at Bilbo and looks closely at the paper. After deciding the signature was real, he rolled up the paper.

"Welcome, Master Baggins, to the company of Thorin Oakenshield." Balin says with a wink at Bilbo. Thorin did not look so pleased. "Give him a pony." Thorin orders. Despite his protest, Bilbo was lifted off the ground and placed on a pony by Fili and Kili. The look on the Hobbits face was priceless! He seemed so uncomfortable on the pony.

We rode for many miles before finding a place to rest, by a rock outcropping. We got a fire going and food cooking. The only thing that would make it better, was if we were in a home, and not in the wild.