“What the hell is that thing doing here?! I thought that you called and canceled him?! What the fuck, Trevor?!” 

“Calm the fuck down, Kassy!” Kassy took a step back. “I really did cancel that clown. I called right after we had that talk on the way to work, so I have no idea why he’s here right now. Maybe the guy I talked to—the boss guy—just forgot to pass on the memo. Besides.” Trevor pointed to the man and made Kassy look at the clown. “He seems harmless. I mean, come on, Kass, how bad can he be? He’s making balloon animals for whiny kids. If anything suspicious happens, I promise I’ll kick him out right away.”

Kassy shook her head. “I must be crazy to agree with you on this. Goddammit, why do I have to be so in love with you?”

“Kass, you’re really acting like a mature adult. I’m proud of you.”

“Just promise me that if I let him stay, you’ll go call the company right now and find out the real reason why he’s really here.”

“I promise.”

“Oh, and thanks for nothing, jackass,” Kassy said, before walking off into the crowd of adults, greeting someone with a handshake.

Trevor laughed and shook his head. He made his way through the sea of people and up the stairs to his office on the second floor. Trevor picked up the phone and sat on his desk, twirling his fingers through the phone cord, as he waited for the company to pick up. After two receptionists, three secretaries, and fifteen minutes of holding, he finally got through to the boss. He paused for a moment when the man answered the phone sounding as if he had just run a marathon, his voice wavering.

“This is Trevor Mitchell again. A couple of weeks ago I hired a clown but then cancelled. Well, he’s here at the party and I was just calling to ask why he’s here if I cancelled.” 

“That’s impossible.”

“Excuse me?”

“I scheduled that man for another party today, but I just got a call that he, along with everyone else who was attending the party, was murdered. I don’t know who is at your party, but it’s not my employee—”

Trevor slammed the phone back on the receiver and ran out of the room in a complete panic, missing one of the top stairs and sliding down the rest of the stairs, still grabbing onto the handle. He landed on his butt, but no one noticed over all the noise and music. Trevor looked at his reddened hand. It had blood oozing to the surface, but he paid no mind and scrambled to find his wife. He found Kassy in the kitchen, cutting a lemon into pieces for a picture of iced tea.

Kassy set the knife and lemon slice down when she noticed Trevor’s hysterical dog-like wheezing. “What’s wrong?”

“Where’s Amie?”

“I don’t know. She’s somewhere out there with her friends. Why? What’s going on?”

“Hey.” Madeline stuck her head inside the doorway before she and James walked in. “Where’s all the tea. People are thirsty, Kass. Hurry up.”

A barrage of ear-piercing screams arose in the air. Everyone in the kitchen ran out and into the living room where the party was. It was a sea of red blush, a storm of red dye, a bath of carcases. Kassie and James both covered their mouths to hold the puke they felt rising up in their stomachs back. After a moment of silence in the gore room, Trevor walked walked forward, ready to head into the next room. The other three walked behind him behind him slowly, making sure to step over all the bodies and their pieces as they could. The door was slightly stuck. It took both the full weight of James and Trevor to get the door to budge open. An arm was stuck on the other side of the door. The room, however, looked as if it hadn’t been touched by the massacre that had happened in the other room.

“Thats just sick,” Madeline said, as she walked by the door, taking a quick glance back at decapitated limb was stuck between the door and the floor.

“Well,” James said, “if you expected a fairy princess to be stuck on the door after that scene, then yes, it’s sick; if not, it’s still equally as sick, but hardly worth mentioning.” 

“James!” Kassy smacked him on his back. She bit her lip to hold back her tears and to give her voice enough time to recuperate so it would come out. “This is hardly the time for such behavior. I don’t know what the hell is going on, but we have to stick together or we’ll all probably die.”

“Both of you just shut up!” Trevor stopped and turned his back around. His eyes were ice shards in the wind. No one said another word.

Curiosity got the best of everyone, as they walked around the square room, looking at every corner for any sign that someone had been there. No one found anything, until the door on the far side of the wall rattled. 

“That’s the family room,” Kassy said, looking behind her back from the giant clock on the back wall she had been examining.

Trevor walked up to the door as the other three gathered behind him, too scared to help him. He twisted the handle and cracked open the door. There was nothing but a small click from the door as it opened.

There was a small glint that caught Madeline’s eyes as Trevor was opening the door. She spun her head around and looked up to the ceiling. Connected to a string that was held by a small piece of scotch tape about to fall off, was a knife. Madeline’s heart sunk, like a rock to water. She tried to speak up to warn Trevor, but before she could say anything, the piece of scotch fell and so did the knife. It looped down and went straight for Trevor, but before it could hit him, it grazed Kassy’s cheek before plunging into Trevor’s neck. His body was thrown forward with the impact of the falling knife. He jumped back up, balancing himself, trying to grab at his torn jugular vein. It was too late, however, as the blood was pouring out of his neck like a waterfall, he collapsed onto his knees and fell face first onto the floor. Kassy screamed and ran to her husband, shaking his motionless body, screaming his name for any sign of life. There was none.

Madeline bit her shaking lip. “He’s got to be in there!” she screamed, running to the door and swinging it open. “What the hell.” She stepped back, tripping over Trevor’s arm.  

Inside, the room looked no different as it had before the party, still neat and orderly with the lingering scent of the popcorn the family had last night. The only thing that moved in the whole room were the drapes from the air vent just below them. 

“What the hell. Where is he?”

James pointed his finger to another door. “What’s that room?”