Chapter 1

Times can move in a strange way as it continues in a forward motion without any stops. The ultimate death, the indestructible life-waster, always with us, yet nowhere with us. And, as any normal human, time moved on for the princess-want-to-be six-year-old and tough boy seven-year-old. The princess found her knight in a businessman with a much too happy-go-lucky personality and became Mrs. Kassy Mitchell. His name was Trevor, and he was the man she let her heart pound for. Soon after the marriage, came their pride and joy, Amie, and this was the time that Amie was let out to shine: her eighth birthday.

There was two weeks until the day that Amie would have her birthday party. Kassy stood in the entryway with her husband, Trevor, biting her nails as the two of them started to argue back and forth, her nerves dwindling with every wasted second.

“Trevor.” She looked at him with unwavering eyes. “I’m not inviting a clown to Amie’s party. That’s final, and I really don’t care what you say about it.” Kassy shuttered at the memory lodged deep in her subconscious mind from when she was little.

“Kassy.” Trevor tried to plead with her.

“No,” Kassy said again. “It really does mean no.”

Trevor shook his head. He went to speak again, but he was cut short by the T.V. as it clicked on. The black screen flashed white and then it flashed again as it filling with colors that went on to make shapes in a mere couple of seconds. On the screen is a news reporter with an image of a happy clown next to him.

“It’s been ten years,” he said, shuffling the papers that lay scattered on his desk. “No one has caught this ‘mass-murdering clown’ guy yet, but the tragedies are piling up pretty fast. The investigators say there is no eye witnesses or anyone to testify, no DNA left on the scene. They predict that the case will end cold once the murders stop—” 

“Listen.” Kassy’s voice drew Trevor back into the conversation. His eyes trail off into the kitchen. “Clowns just aren’t a good idea, okay?”

Trevor, with a brief glanced at his watch, noticed the time and started to assemble his work supplies that were set down at his feet. “Amie is set on having a clown for her birthday, Kass. Don’t worry, everything will be fine. We’ll interview the buy before he comes just to make sure, alright?” 

She sighed, rubbing her hand up and down her arm. “I still don’t like the idea... but if you insist.”

“Promise you’ll give him a chance?”

“I promise, but it doesn’t mean I’ll start liking clowns anymore. I’ve had really bad experiences with them, you know.”

“You really hate clowns, don’t you?” he asked, with a light-hearted laugh.

“Yeah. They’re all scary with their big red noses... and red...”

“You know.” Trevor reached into his pocket and rummaged through it. “Amie was telling me the other day that she wanted to see her uncle James. You should go call him up and ask him to come over.”

“And you know that I don’t have his number.” 

Trevor smiled. He reached deep into his pocket and pulled out a piece of paper, which he promptly proceeded to shove at her. “You’ve been fighting for ten years now. Don’t you think this is enough? Just call him, Kass, I’m sure he’ll understand. You’re not his sister for nothing, you know.” 

“Alright.” 

Trevor kissed Kassie on the forehead before he walked out the door, ready to head to work. Kassie watched him until the car couldn’t be seen from the doorway anymore. She looked at the piece of paper with the number scribbled on it and the small note in almost illegible handwriting.