Chapter 29 - Two Hearts

Start from the beginning

Xiomara sat up all the way. "Can we just sit here for a moment longer. I don't want to go back to the house just yet."

Amelia nodded. "Sure, whatever you want. Everything okay with you and Omar?"

"Everything okay with you and Willem?"

Amelia smiled and sat down on the grass in her pretty dress. "I asked first."

"I honestly don't know," Xiomara said. "Did Willem tell you why he punched Omar?"

"Not exactly. He didn't want to talk in front of Bradley." Amelia plucked a blade of grass and started to play with it, dragging the tip of it in circles in the middle of her palm.

"Omar paid a maid at one of Willem's hotels to have sex with him, but he didn't actually have sex with her. Or something like. But that's not why I'm upset? This whole maid thing happened way before we got serious with each other."

"Oh. Then why are you upset?"

"He told me he loved me."

Amelia laughed. "You're upset because he told you he loved you? That makes no sense to me. You're going to have to explain this one."

"It's silly, I know, but I feel like the timing was wrong. Or maybe in my mind I'd imagined it differently. Like in the movies." She dusted off her shorts where a patch of dead leaves clung to the fabric. "I wanted it to be special. He makes me feel special all the time, and the one time I needed to feel extra special... he left me hanging. But then again that probably says more about me and my unrealistic, fairytale-oriented mind."

A look of amusement flittered across Amelia's features. "This is a first world problem. Or a romantic's problem. I'm a true romantic, so I know. Willem told me he loved me after I did life saving surgery on his son. Our entire relationship up until that moment had been a sham of lies and secrets. I felt betrayed by my father, and I was deeply hurt that Willem had waited an entire month to make things right with me after I left him. But when he said the words they felt sincere. He called me the lollapalooza of his life. That's what I held on to. I wanted him to love me for me, and not because of how rich my father's company made him or because I saved his son's life."

Xiomara bowed her head in embarrassment. Mostly because she had nothing to give Omar in return. No fancy doctorate degree, no million dollar enterprise. All she had to offer him was a baby. A fucking baby. And an unplanned one at that.

What did he even see in her?

Oh man, she was such a loser. A twenty-three-year-old adult with no potential. How had her life even come to this? She wanted to be so much more than just the mother of his child. So much more than just his lover.

Omar loved her, and like he said, it was obvious in the way he treated her and cared for her, in the way he rubbed her feet and belly with the natural cocoa butter her mother had gotten her. He showed her that he loved her by constantly worrying about her safety, by always double checking to make sure that her seatbelt was fastened properly. He showed her by baby proofing his entire condo, and by getting her the best doctor on the island to deliver their baby. She could name at least a hundred more things he'd done that said he loved her, more than words ever could. So why wasn't she embracing this? Soaking it all in like a sponge? Instead she was sitting in the grass feeling sorry for herself.