Chapter 2

"Indie!" I jump up when I hear my name.

"Oh, hey, Cam." I say relaxing a little.

"Jess and I are going to the lake. Do you want a ride home? We are heading that direction anyway." Jess's boyfriend and I are polite but we aren't friends. It's always slightly awkward without her.

"Uh, no thanks. I drove here. Where's Jess?"

"Right here!" My best friend says walking into her living room and putting her arm around her boyfriend's waist. I look at my phone.

"Well it's almost 4:30. I can go home now. I'll see you later." I say standing up and grabbing my bag. A look of hurt and then pity flashes on Jess's pale face but it just as quickly disappears into a smile.

"Okay! Text me if you need anything!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I pull my car in and am relieved to see my stepdad's car is not in the driveway. I hope my mom is home.

"Mom?" I yell walking through the door.

"Indie? I'm in the kitchen, sweetie!" she yells from the other room. I walk to the other side of our tiny apartment.

"Hey, Mom. Do you need help with anything?"

"Honey, please just go relax! I'll be fine, actually I want you to take this," she says handing me some cash, "and go buy yourself some clothes for you big move!" That's a lot of money she just handed me.

"No, Mom, I can't take this. My clothes are fine. You need this more than me!" I say shoving the money toward her.

"Nonsense! I want my baby girl to have the best I can give her in her new life!" she says smiling. My new life, that's how she sees it. That's how I should see it, too. But I can't take her money.

"Mom-"

"Indigo, take the money. Go shopping, take Jess, have fun! You're leaving tomorrow night."

"Tomorrow night?" I exclaim, surprised! She takes a deep breath.

"Yes. I talked to your Aunt Chrissy and she said that it would be good for you to come down a few weeks earlier. That way you had some time to adjust before the school year there starts." I think about it for a little bit.

"That makes sense. How early does their- our- school year start?" It can't be that soon. It's only August 3, real school here doesn't start until September 15. It's the lucky ones like Jess and I that get to go to summer school and only get a month of summer vacation.

"Chrissy said it starts August 12. So if you get there by the 5th you'll have a week to get ready for school." Wow, I have to tell Jess. She thinks I'm going to be here for another two weeks.

"Okay, Jess and I are probably going to hang out tonight, can we spend tomorrow together?" I ask my mom.

"I cleared my schedule for tomorrow. We can hang out until I take you to the airport. But on one condition, you and Jess go shopping tonight and you get everything you want! Spend all that money!" I know that when my mom puts her mind to something, there's no changing it so I relent. Plus it'll be fun to finally just worry about myself.

I call Jess and tell her about leaving early. After she talks to Cam, she tells me to meet at her house in 20 minutes.