Chapter 61. Found Out*

Start from the beginning

Finally we reached the lounge area, staying in the shadows. By this time, Hannah and Hawk should have made their way in, followed by Tourneau and Malachi. I waited impatiently for them to let us know through my earpiece that all was well. As we moved along, I took note of the various obstacles that obscured the other side of the vast space. Hanging from the ceiling were platforms where dancers moved seductively. There were cages at intervals that clubgoers could take turns in, apparently doing whatever they wanted, from the looks of it. Some held couples having sex in plain sight; others held S&M tools that were being plied by leather clad employees. Those partaking in the S&M attractions did not seem as if they were being hurt, so I left them to their depraved games.

Aiden continued ahead of me toward the area we figured would hold the offices and the rooms where the Brethren might be watching. A flight of metal stairs rose ahead of us, with a cage in the dead space beneath them. Inside were two scantily clad females dancing together, much to the delight of several young men that were watching. One seemed vaguely familiar, but I dismissed the feeling, as Aiden went past the spectacle into a more dimly lit area. A murmur arose as the music slowed. I noticed many heads turning toward the entrance, where I saw what was attracting the attention. Apparently Hannah and Hawk had made it in unnoticed, but unfortunately at the center of attention were Jean and Malachi, each draped with a local socialite. The news media had created an air of celebrity apparently when the two young women were spotted. I would have to figure out later how the two Guardians had gotten tangled up with the human women. I could only hope that whomever was in charge tonight would be too busy to notice the appearance of two Guardians who should have been dead. I had no idea if Bong-Li had returned to the Brethren after Romley was killed.

Deciding I would let the two seasoned warriors deal with their own problems for the moment, I followed Aiden into the darkened back hallway. Softly, I said into the concealed mouthpiece, "Hannah, Hawk, do you copy?"

The reply came back muddled by the sound of the crowd, "What a party! We have the best seats to watch the door."

Hannah's voice was the one who answered, and I could tell her answer was meant to be informative, as well as sound random to those around her.

"The back hall is dark," I softly replied, letting those who could hear know where we were.

Aiden had stopped to wait for me and we proceeded silently along the corridor, the music muffled by the cinder block walls. Soon we came upon the first 'back room'. Inside, a group was gathered around a hookah, lounging on pillows. Fragrant smoke circled lazily around their heads as we passed. The odor was obviously not tobacco of any kind. Neither of us recognized anyone in that room, so we moved on. Aiden had told us there was a second level that while concealed by the decor in the club, it allowed the management to observe the dance floor for trouble, back when he had frequented the place under its former name. We had found the blueprints we located online showed the area still remained. Figuring this would be the ideal place for the Brethren or whoever was in charge to keep an eye out for potential prey or enemies, we had decided it would be our main objective.

At that moment, in my ear I heard Tourneau's voice over a feminine laugh. "Sweetheart, I think we'll be useless to you tonight. You've got to party on your own."

I answered quietly, "Are you spotted?"

The answer that came in response was vague, but I knew Tourneau would only transmit what we needed to hear. "We've been spotted by the media, darling. The tongues will be wagging all over town tomorrow. What will your fiancé think?"

He was talking to both me and the female that had attached herself to him apparently. He was compromised. All of us had heard the statement through our earpieces.