Chapter 6

Brooke's POV

This house was like a maze, just when you thought you found the exit door, you found yourself with another set of doors. Lucky for me, I had memorized the way to the kitchen. I figured there would be at least one staff member present at all times and I could simply ask any of them for directions.

Just when I was about to enter the kitchen I felt a cold hand on my shoulder pull me back. I looked back and grunted under my breath when I realized who it was.

“So, you’re Head Orteaga’s granddaughter huh?” she said smiling

I couldn’t deal with this right now. I was still slightly angry and judging by the way she –the brunette from earlier –was smiling, whatever she had to say, would only make things worse.

“How does it feel?” she asked still smiling

“How does what feel?”

“How does it feel to know you’re the biggest freak out there?”

“I don’t know what makes you so stupid but whatever it is, it’s really working”

For a brief second her jaw clenched, before she put a smile on again.

“Even your whole family knows you’re a freak. First your grandmother abandons you, and then your father gets himself killed so he can get away from you”

My father? That bitch dared to talk about my father? I knew she was only trying to get a rise out of me but it was becoming extremely difficult to keep calm. My fists clenched and unclenched. All I wanted to do was shut her up.

“Touched a nerve there did I? But it’s true, in all my life, I’ve never heard of someone dying in that way. Maybe he didn’t even die.”

With each word, my anger grew. My hands started feeling warm and my head was pounding. Every nerve of my body kept telling me to shut her up, for good.

“Maybe he just faked his death so he could get away from you. He’s probably somewhere far away from here, enjoying his life. And I don’t blame him because if I was your father I would have done just that. Look at yourself, you’re a walking freak.” She said chuckling

That did it. The anger that had been bubbling inside of me exploded and suddenly I grabbed her by the neckline of her dress and threw her on the other side of the hallway with force. Her body crashed against the wall and went unconscious –blood dripping and bones sticking out. I could feel my tense stance wavering and my anger deflating as what I had done registered.

My head started pounding harder, my hands were shaking and I couldn’t see right.

That’s when I noticed just how full the hallway was and how many eyes were on me. There across the room, Felix was standing protectively in front of grandma, both holding each other's hands as they watched me confusion clear in their eyes.

Nobody moved or said a word. They all held their loved ones close, taking precaution. It made me feel uneasy, as if they were afraid of me. They’re all scared, even grandma. I could feel it. For the first time since I arrived in this town, I could feel what she felt, pure fear. It saddened me to a great extent.

Look at yourself, you’re a walking freak I heard the brunette’s words echo in my head over and over again. This time I couldn’t help but agree. No, she was wrong. I’m more than just a freak, I’m a monster.

Finally, Felix stepped aside and crouched down near the brunette’s body and checked for her pulse.

God, I didn’t even know her name. What if she was dead now? What was I going to do then? Suddenly I couldn’t breathe. The hallway seemed too crowded, almost Closter phobic. I was terrified. Afraid for myself and what I’d become. But mostly, I was afraid for the people around me and what would happen if I ever lost control again. I needed to get the hell away from here. Now.

Before I knew what I was doing I ran at a dead sprint towards the kitchen. I could hear shouting and footsteps behind but I just moved faster and faster. Maneuvering my way around the kitchen I ran through the closest set of double doors I saw.

Closing the doors behind me I leaned my head against it, trying to calm down. My heart was slamming against my chest and my hands were sweaty. Breathing heavily, I tried to think and remember the way out of here.

“This room’s already taken, find yourself another place.” I heard an unfamiliar voice say behind me.

I whipped around to find a tall guy starring down at me. He had dark messy hair and piercing blue eyes that lured you in instantly. He watched me, studied me –head to toe – before meeting my eyes again. My eyes could not help but wander slightly towards his well-defined chest, arms and then they landed on the bottle of vodka in his hand. When he caught me starring at it, he brought it up to his lips, took a few sips and whipped his mouth with the back of his hand.

"I don't share" he said stepping closer to me

I blinked, confused.  

"How do you get out of here?"

"Why?"

I didn’t answer.

"You seem nervous, are you okay?"

Again, he stepped closer to me.

"I'm fine"

For a while, he stayed quiet staring at me. When I stepped aside to get past him, he moved in front of me.

"Is all that for you?" he asked referring to the noise outside the room. By this point he was so close, his breath fanned over me.

I didn't answer. He studied me for a little longer before taking my hand and placing the bottle of vodka in it.

"What’s this for?"

"Something to calm you down" He smirked

"I thought you said you didn't share?"

“I can make an exception” He smirked again, his eyes twinkling with a strange combination of curiosity mixed with amusement.

“I don’t drink” I lied, my tone surprisingly calm.

“How about a smoke then?” He held up his other hand, holding a cigarette. “It’ll help calm you down, trust me”

Before I could answer him I heard the commotion from the other side getting closer and panicked.

“How do I get out of here?”

He studied me a little longer before stepping aside and pointing to a door in the far right corner.

"Go straight and take the first door to your right."

Without another glance at him, I raced out of the room.