Chapter 4

I sat there, uncomfortably, on a very beautiful sofa inside a huge sitting room with velvet furniture. I looked down at myself to make sure I was “presentable” like grandma had asked me to. The vibrant purple dress Stella and I had picked out was tight around the bust (which actually made my boobs look two sizes bigger than normal) and was loose around the waist. I went light on the make-up and after about ten minutes of trying to figure out what to do with my hair I had finally given up and let it down with its natural waves. I thought I looked good and presentable but I still crossed my fingers and prayed grandma would think the same.

My phone still clutched in my hand I watched as the guests filed in.

Over two dozen waiters were running around the room with glasses of Romanée Conti wine, each bottle worth more than fifteen hundred dollars, to serve the guests.

You could tell the difference between the rich and the middle class people. The rich all wore clothes made by the best designers and walked like they owned the place. While the middle class people would walk normally on the clean carpet with their glass of wine worrying that they looked out of place. Which they did. Some of the rich people were stuck-up and would walk with a stiff neck looking down on anybody who they deemed unworthy while others were friendly and would socialize with everyone regardless of their financial status.

Now and then one courageous lower class guest would try to squeeze in on one of the rich snobby people’s conversation only to receive the cold shoulder and judging stares. For the most part, both groups stayed far away from each other.

Soon enough, laughter and music filled the room, most of the women chit-chatting about the latest gossip while the men sat together discussing much more serious matters. I felt like a spectator to a very luxurious house party.

Why was I even here? Why did I need to meet these people? And where was grandma? Shouldn’t she be hosting these people? She practically ordered me to be here and she can’t even show up herself?

I blame my mom. Couldn’t she find any better family relative to send me away to? I sighed feeling really lonely. I really missed my mom. She was always there for me and knowing I couldn't talk to her or go see her frustrated me.

I take back what I said earlier, this is Grace’s fault. How could she replace me just like that? Okay she probably didn’t replace me but how could she throw a party two days after my departure? What is there to celebrate? I couldn’t think of any holiday coming up and it wasn’t her birthday or her parent’s so why on earth would she be throwing a party? Nobody just parties right after her best-friend put her sleaze of a boyfriend into coma. Then again nobody puts a guy in a coma and isn’t mentally damaged about it. What was wrong with me?

Just two weeks ago I was in my room chatting with Grace about anything and everything, and now… this!

I slumped back in my chair feeling mad, sad, confused and depressed all at the same time.

“What is wrong with you? Are you stupid? This isn’t the drink I ordered you incompetent moron!!!” I heard someone scream from behind me.

I stood and turned around to see a tall suntanned girl holding a glass in front of Stella’s face. All of the guests that were walking by looked at her shocked, but didn’t dare to interfere.

“I-I’m ver-very sorry b-but you s-said you wa-wanted...” Stella stuttered clearly afraid. She had changed from her maid’s uniform to a white shirt with a black two button blazer and a basic skirt that went below the knees

“Are you calling me a liar? Huh? That what you calling me?” The girl said getting in Stella’s face, her sapphire-colored eyes piercing into Stella.