Chapter Four;Stop Talking

He follows me all day even though he should be in the Juniors Wing. That's where all of his classes should be while all of mine are in the Sophomores Wing. Everyone's grades are split into wings and everyone's lockers map the halls. The gym, cafeteria, front office, nurse office, music room, changing rooms and auditorium make up the middle of the school and there's a bathroom in each wing.

The last bell rings and I walk to my locker through the busy hall. River still follows me. I pull my backpack over my shoulder and put in my notebooks and homework, putting my textbooks back and slamming my locker and glaring at him. "What is your problem?" His eyes shrink in fear, then readjust to a weird calm.

"I was moved down a grade and you're like, the only friend I know here. Thought you would have noticed that," he laughs. "And I wanted to walk you home again."

"Why?" I start to walk out the building and he walks with me.

"So you don't try and, you know, again," he shrugs his shoulders as I push the door open and start to walk down the street. Yelling at him made me miss my bus. "Why are you so grumpy now?"

"I'm not as vulnerable."

"A girl with a vocabulary," he laughs. "You're a rare type."

"And?" I laugh as I turn the corner.

"And you're rare. Girls with vocabularies are a one in a million." I roll my eyes but blush. It's the nicest thing anyone's said to me since Tyler was murdered.

We stay quiet as I walk. I walk up the steps of my house and say goodbye to him, walk through the oak door and close it behind me and see my father standing at the base of the stairs with his arms crossed. "Who was that?"

"River." I should have said Jackson. He hates anyone who's name isn't a traditional name. His name is John, my mothers is Samantha, but she's more outgoing them my Father.

"Madeline-"

"Mae." Madeleine is my middle name. "My names Mae."

"Madeline," he repeats. "I allowed you to be with Tyler, but a boy named 'River'," he scoffs. "I will not allow you to be with him."

"I won't date River Father, and Tyler, I still love him. And I don't care if you hated him." His funerals tomorrow.

"Well at least he's gone now." Tear boil in my eyes and my throat feels dry. How could he say that?

"John." I look at my Mother as she walks in from the kitchen. "Be considerate of your daughters feelings. He may have not have affected your life be he affected your daughters. Mae, go to your room." I walk past my Father and up the white carpeted stairs to my room at the end of the hall. I sit on my bed, taking my bag off of my shoulder and lying down on my bed, my purple and white confider surrounding my head.

§•§•§

I sit in the gymnasium with everyone else in our school, my eyes to the floorboards below me. I was told last class I needed to say something about Tyler for his memorial at the school. Afterward is his funeral. The principal continues to speak about him, my eyes to the ground as everyone weeps for him. "And now Mae Davis, will say some words." Out of everyone he could have chosen, I was the worst choice. I forgot everything I knew about Tyler as I walk to the small podium and the microphone slightly buzzes.

I gulp as I look around. Alex is close to crying, but isn't. River is three people from him and two rows down next to Scott and Jeremy is next to him. My fingers tighten around the side of it, my knuckles white. I pull away my hand and dig my nails into my thumb. "Tyler Brooks was my boyfriend. He was great and...and I can't think of a moment where he wasn't with me." I start to cry and my voice breaks. "I-I can't do this."

Everyone's silent. I lean my head down and silently whimper and sob, small echoes of it in the microphone. I can't say anything about him to anyone. We were always together, but it's like I know nothing about him. He was perfect, tall, chiseled chin, adorable dimples and freckles, his blonde hair always kept away from his brown eyes. Everything was perfect about him. I look up at the stands, everyone was crying, no one was speaking. A few people would cough into their hands, wipe their eyes, cry into their friends shoulder.

I know they're all faking.

"You all are fakers," my words cut like knifes as I watch them all look at me. "None of you were even remotely friends with Tyler. His only friends were me and Alex. Your tears are useless, because they mean nothing. Your sobs will go unheard. The people who only had mean things to say about him will now only have nice things and you jocks who always tormented him will only have nice things to do. The people who broke into his locker and took all of his things will now put things on his locker and you people who took his clothes in gym will now give to the needy, but not because you want to. You want to make amends to Tyler but you can't. He's gone and you can't fix what you've done to him. Yes, he was murdered, but if any of you did it, if any of you killed the love of my life then I swear to god every bad thing that happens to you, you deserve it." I've never spoke to a crowd like that. I've never spoken like that in general.

I walk off the podium and through the doors. I lean against the white plastered wall and heave out cries. I shouldn't have opened my mouth.