Chapter 12

That night was particularly cold which meant at least we knew Gale was right in saying we were heading North.

We gathered wood and lit a fire, but even that didn't seem able to ward off the icy air. Gale also forced a galon of water and some food into me on the basis that I had been passed out for three days.

"I'm wishing I packed a blanket," I said between shivers.

"Allow me to give you my jacket, Robyn. You need it more than me," Gale said already removing the fairly thick, wool lined garment.

"No, Gale. I don't want to have two jackets whilst you have none," I replied referring to my coat I already wore.

"I insist," he said persistently as the warm jacket was wrapped around my shoulders.

"Very well," I agreed with a thankful smile. "But if you get hypothermia on your head be it."

"I'll be alright," he answered sitting beside me and pulling me into his chest.

"Can I ask you a question?" I asked.

"Of course."

"How long have you loved me?" I said after a few moments pause.

"Always Robyn. At first, it was a child's attachment to something close and then as we grew up it kind of evolved," he answered truthfully.

"And all this time you didn't think to tell me?" I asked. "What was stopping you?"

"The knowledge that a romance between us would never have been permitted mostly. I also didn't want to ruin our friendship. So I kept it in until I couldn't keep it in any longer."

"For the record, I've always loved you too. I just didn't realise it until I was being dragged away from you. No one ever taught me what love feels like you see," I explained allowing him to play with my hair.

"You mean your parents?" Gale asked.

I nodded.

"There's something you should know about the death of your parents, Robyn," Gale said his voice turning grave and serious.

"It was a hunting accident. I already know," I said sitting up right at the mention of the worst event in my life.

"It was no hunting accident. I've known for weeks and I should have told you earlier, but I couldn't bring myself to upset you, but you deserve the truth," Gale explained taking my hands in his. 

"W..what...?" I stuttered.

"Your parents were part of a rebel force within the pack. They disagreed with the way the Elder keeps control-" Gale began.

"How does he keep control?" I asked.

"With fear and threats. People who disobey him simply disappear and are replaced with a cover story," he replied. "Do you remember the Meadows family tragedy?"

"With the bear?" I asked.

"So the story goes, but there was nothing accidental about their murder," Gale explained squeezing my hands tighter. "A vile beast did it but it certainly wasn't a bear."

"Oh God. This is what you mean when you talk of evil in the pack, isn't it? People getting murdered in the woods," I said closing my eyes trying to get over the disbelief. "And my parents. Tell me what happened to them and don't miss anything out."

He sighed and looked me in the eye.

"They and a few others were through with the Elder's reign over us. They planned a rebellion and were gathering as many participants as possible. Somehow word got back to the Elder. Maybe, from one of his loyal spies. Anyway, your parents were on their way to a secret meeting in the woods when they were ambushed Coedon Hazelwood and Flynn Sycamore," Gale told me.

"Thawn and Raven's fathers killed my parents...?" I repeated to myself putting the pieces together. "How could they do such an awful thing and blame it on a hunting accident? I was only four years old. My sisters all no more than fifteen and we were left to somehow bring ourselves up."

"And you did a very good job," Gale said turning my face towards me revealing the streaming tears.

"I want to go back," I announced getting to my feet.

"Why?"

"To find Coedon and Flynn and Thawn and Raven and-" I started my tears blurring my vision.

"And what?" Gale asked slowly shortening the gap between us. "Going back there would be suicide."

"They murdered my parents," I said deeply.

"And they will do the same to you," Gale said deepening his voice below mine.

I continued walking further away from the fire driven by anger.

"Robyn," he said sternly.

I tried to block Gale's voice out. I couldn't allow him to stop me. They ruined my entire family. I had to at least hear some remorse.

I heard his footsteps behind me and I tried so hard to resist the urge to look back.

"Gale please I have to do this," I said as I saw him approaching me faster than I was getting away.

I broke into a run, but his arms were already around me.

"I can't let you get hurt. It would be going against instinct," he said softly into my ear as I fought against him for a few seconds before realising it was pointless and allowed him to hold me in his arms. 

I sobbed into his chest as he led us back to the fire that hadn't seemed so warm until we left its side.

"Robby, listen to me," he said putting his hands on either side of my face as I cried hysterically. "What did you used to say when Raven, Thawn and Autumn would tease us?"

"That they aren't worth another single breath," I replied from memory.

"Exactly," he replied wiping my tears from my cheeks. "Now think about how many breaths it would take to get back to the Pack and then how many you would have to use whilst you're there. A lot, right?"

I nodded.

"And they don't deserve even one," he repeated. "Do they? You said so yourself."

I shook my head.

"They do deserve a stick up the arse though," I joked sniffling my nose.

"Robyn Blossom!" he exclaimed hugging me tightly. "Control your profanities, young lady."

I smiled and rested my head on his chest.

"You're the best," I whispered.

"Not much competition is there?" he asked.

"Even still."