Chapter 1

"You're getting stronger," Gale laughed as we rolled around on the dry forest floor. 

By this point in the afternoon, the late summer rays were shining through the leaves of the tall pine trees creating intricate amber designs on our playground.

"I've been training," I replied pinning his arms to the floor straddling my childhood-long best friend.

We'd been together since the break of dawn and had now resorted to playfighting- as our meetings usual did.

"Yeah, but...I'm still stronger," he announced as he shoved me off him so that I was the one on the pine needle ladened ground.

"I'm younger," I replied defensively whilst trying to wriggle free.

"And you're a girl," he said a cheeky smile flashing across his boyish face. 

"Gale Rivers!" I exclaimed pulling my best scowl before using all my strength to free myself, fortunately, this time with success.

"And I'm not the one becoming an Alpha tomorrow," I said as he lay on the floor his hazelnut hair tousled and his jade-green eyes glimmering. He looked up at me and in a moment the sparkle had been distinguished and the smiled faded. 

"Oh Robyn, don't remind me please," he groaned. 

It was the evening before Gale's seventeenth birthday and as the Alpha's son that also meant the day before woefully taking over leadership of the pack.

"I'll still get to see you won't I?" I asked laying down beside him and gazing up into the network of intertwined branches.

"Of course," he reassured all though with a strong sense of underlying apprehension.

"I don't really have many other friends," I replied with a sigh watching as two birds perched side by side just like Gale and I but on a branch high above. "Correction: I don't have any other friends."

"Your sisters?" he teased.

"As if," I mumbled rolling my eyes. 

I had three sisters: April, Willow and Summer all years older and wanted even less to do with me than the rest of the pack. They rarely spoke to me and I guess we had nothing really to talk about. I was the different one.

"I'm gonna be lonely without you Gale," I moaned wrapping my arms around his chest.

"Maybe I'll make you my beta," he said dreamily placing a comforting hand on my back.

"I think Thawn Hazelwood and Autumn Clearwater have their eyes on that title. I'd never beat them in the duel," I said sighing as I plucked a singular daisy from the ground and spun its stalk between my fingers.

"Well if I'm the Alpha, forget who wins the duel. I want Robyn Blossom," Gale said even though we both knew that's not how it works.

"If only," I replied softly tucking the daisy behind his ear.

Every year, the Elder Pack holds what we call the Beta duel. Anyone who wants to be Beta over the age of 14 can compete no matter their gender, height, size or strength.

The final decision between the top two competitors still comes down to the Alpha, but I didn't even stand a chance of getting that far. 

"The sun's going down," I pointed out as the amber air began to descend with darkness.

"I wish it wasn't."

"Just sixteen hours of freedom remaining. The ceremony will be over by noon right?" I asked.

"Hopefully. I'd rather get it over and done with," he replied not sounding particularly enthusiastic.

I had known Gale for ten years. Since I was five and he was seven. How we ended up being best friends is a story for another time, but the whole time I had known he never wanted to be Alpha. Leadership, Obligations and responsibilities just weren't for him.