Chapter 3: Into Town

Over the next few days, I'm more high strung than usual. I woke up in the middle of the night to find that all of the clocks had stopped right on 3:17. Then I begin to hear random banging noises, and finally a strange black haired man somehow broke into my house without me hearing anything, and disappears without a trace. Not to mention before scaring me so badly, I don't go to sleep until sunrise each day for the next three days. 

I sigh as I reflect over recent events. I had moved over a thousand miles to a state I had never been to, with the single purpose of escaping city life. It had been noisy, hectic, busy, and over crowded, but at least there weren't people who brake into your house in the middle of the house just to scare you. But the fact remained that he had disappeared in a matter of seconds, and reappeared just as quick, and his eyes... It must have been a dream. I tell myself. You must have gone upstairs after you put Jane Eyre back on the shelf, not remembered it, and dreamed the rest. Though this answer to the many questions I have seems to be the most comforting out of all the other possibilities, I still have my doubts...

I'm suddenly brought to my senses when I feel Emily Dickenson try to push her head under my hand in a bid for attention. I look at her and pick her up, holding her on my lap, but she begins to struggle against me holding her and meowing incessantly.  "Fine, don't let me love you," I say in a cold and sarcastic manner, but she only resumes trying to push her head under my hand. I try ignoring her, but she keeps persisting. "What do you want I ask, do you want food?"

She only "meows" at me, and I decide to make sure that she has food in her dish, just to be sure that she isn't out. I pull the blanket I had over my lap off, and get up from my place at the couch. I walk into the kitchen, and head over to where I keep Emily Dickenson's food and water dish. When I look down and see that it's out of food and water. Immediately I feel guilty. With all of the commotion of the last few days, I had forgotten to refill her only source of food and water. She walks into the room, and looks at me with her big round eyes, only adding to my guilt. I walk over to the cabinet where I keep her food bag, and find the bag empty. Great, now I have to go into town with the sole purpose to buy cat food. 

I head up to my room to grab my car keys and phone, and walk out the back door. The summer mountain air kisses my skin, and the golden sunlight bathes my body in warmth when I step outside. It's just around midday, and the sun is at it's highest in the sky, showering everything in light. I smile as I breathe in a breeze coming off of the mountains. It smells like freshly cut grass and honeysuckle. I stop and take a moment to look at the beauty of the landscape, and listen to the wind as it blows through the trees. It's so beautiful, and exactly the reason why I moved here in the first place. 

I proceed to walk to my car, and climb in. The red 2007 Toyota Camry has served me well, and it still does. With the insertion and turn of the key, the engine purrs to life. I put the car into gear, and begin to drive down the long dirt road that leads to the road into town. The drive is around fifteen minutes, and takes me through pastures, valleys, and woods and I enjoy every second of it. After being trapped in the house for the past few days after the events with the strange dream - if it really was a dream - it's nice to be out of the house, and makes me happy from the thought of being away from the place where all of it happened. 

I reach the end of the dirt road, and turn left on to the main road leading into town. Trees line the road on all sides, as I'm driving right in the middle until there's a break in the trees as I speed out of the greenery into the massive field of a farm. I continue driving down the road, and pass trees, barns and homes here and there, and an extremely old gas station that looks like time forgot.  

After a few minutes, I finally reach the town, called Georgsville. It's a small place, just a few crossroads branching off of the main street, and all of the buildings are done in an old fashioned brick style. There's a post office, library, high school, and a small park right in front of the city hall in the main square. I drive down the main street and turn on to Sunset Way, and turn into the market. I get out of my car and head inside. It's a small place with only a few aisles, and a tiny deli and bakery in the back. I grab a basket, and begin searching for that I'm looking for. I grab a few cans of carious staples, such as soup, beans, and a box of angle hair spaghetti. I head to the farthest aisle from the entrance where they sell miscellaneous item. I scan the shelves until I find the bag of cat food that Emily Dickenson prefers.