Bleeding Skies

I stare out at the lifeless gray sky, the sun unable to break through the endless cover of gloom. "Today wouldn't be the worst day to die, wouldn't you agree?" my girlfriend had said just hours before her death. She hated living here ever since what happened...that day two years ago...

The day was cold and dead, just like today in fact. No one would roam the streets, and little did they know it was their last chance to do so. I had been depressed that day, the dead sky seems to have that effect on me. Even though the sky was lifeless, at least there were other people alive here. Then IT happened.

The sky turned to blood, and fire began to rain from the heavens. I was sitting in this very spot when it had happened. As the flames burst through the clouds, I could see the sun. Instead of its bright yellow appearance, then the sun had turned to a blood red. Many of the survivors had blamed the blood red sun on vampires, but they would have had no way to affect the sun.

My girlfriend had been a vampire, while I a human. It made little sense for me to fall for such a creature, but she had been the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. She had raven-black hair that would flow just beneath her shoulders, with just a few strands of hair falling before her fire red eyes. She had a straight nose which fell in perfect synchronization with her high cheek bones. With full soft-pink lips and a glowing pale white skin, she was absolutely breathtaking.

I had left the flame destroyed city, in search of food elsewhere. I would often hunt for animals, and bring them back for us both to eat. She would drink the dead animals blood, while I would cook and eat the meat. In a way, it had worked for both of us. She got the food she needed to survive without needing to kill anyone, while I was with the woman I had always dreamed of.

It was only a matter of days ago. I had found and killed a deer deep in the dead forest. I came back home to get some gear to make it easier to drag back, but I came back only to find my greatest fears come to life. Several of the townsmen had broken into the place we call home, and had killed her for being a vampire. She was barely breathing when I came back, and all she could do was beg me not to be angry. Without anger, all I could do was skulk around in depression.

She was the only woman who had ever loved me for who I was. A strange man with an unnatural love for the unknown. I loved to explore, especially when danger was involved. It had been the only thing that could make me happy other than her. After all, there's nothing to be happy about when living in a city where the people act like they're already dead.

The only thing that made them seem to come to life was vampires. They would blame vampires for all of the bad that would happen in the world, even when they actually could never have caused things. Their hatred for vampires was increased when the flame storm came, and I'm still the only one who believe that they had nothing to do with it.

I stand from where I was sitting, grab my chair and throw it through the window. A cold breeze rushes through the now broken window, and the old scent of smoke fills my lungs. The air feels the same as it had felt that day. I can't keep going on like this, my heart died with my girlfriend. I take one last deep breath, as I know it will be my last. I close my eyes and slowly begin to lean forward, but I am stopped when a bright red floods through my closed eyelids.

My eyes snap open to see the blood red skies. It's happening once again, just as it had two years ago. Fire begins to burst through the clouds, and as it strikes the earth below, screams erupt with them. As I continue watching the sky bleed, a burst of fire comes through the clouds, barreling straight towards me. My girlfriend was right, today wouldn't be the worst day to die.