Chapter 21.

H.O.P.E
HOLD ON, PAIN ENDS.
*------------*

  The street was buzzing with people and vehicles rushing in every direction. Stephen stomped his feet impatiently on the ground, waiting for the signal to cross the road. The city seemed to have acquired a ton of vehicles overnight. As soon as the signal changed, Stephen rushed across the street to the police station without a second thought. The cars came to a halt, honking at his obnoxious figure while some pushed their heads out of their car windows to shout curses at him.

The police station seemed to be more packed than the road outside. Everyone was busy with something or the other. As the city grows so does the crime. Stephen pushed past the crowd inside the police station. It was a busy day indeed. Making a way, he went directly towards the sub-inspectors’ room. He pushed the sliding door and entered. Konci Lee was sitting on the chair, inspecting a pile of files spread across the table. Stephen stood there for a while expecting the inspector to acknowledge his presence. The room was sparsely clean. There was a board with pictures and arrows connecting at different angles, like that of a case. A glassed cupboard stood proudly at the corner adorned with a number of trophies and medals. The inspector was too lost in his work to pay any attention to Stephen’s presence.

Stephen cleared his throat. Immediately, Konci Lee lifted up his head from the file, staring at him in amazement.

"How may I help you?” he asked, keeping the file aside.

"Yea. I want to file a missing case on a person", Stephen mumbled.

“Okay. There is a counter to the right. You can fill the warrant papers there.” Konci Lee informed getting back to his work.

“Umm… Actually, I hoped you could look at this case directly. It needs immediate action.” Stephen urged.

Konci Lee sighed, “Look! Each and every case out here is important and needs immediate action. Please fill out the form and we will try our best.”

When Stephen didn’t show any sign of leaving. Konci Lee took out a file from his cabinet drawer and settled down. Taking a pen, he filled up the date at the top of the form.

"Okay. May I know that person's name?” he asked nonchalantly.

"Ugh...name? Name....... Aahh!!!! Samara Helenson.” Stephen replied.

"What!!!!” Konci Lee exclaimed his attention on its peak.

"Yes. She went missing in the suicide forest,” he explained.

"What the heck!!!!” Konci Lee screeched staring wide-eyed at Stephen.

“Do…do you know her?” Stephen asked, confusion evident on his face.

"Yes! Who the hell are you? And why the shit did she go there?" Konci Lee snapped, annoyed at Samara’s stupidity.

"Uh…excuse me! Why are you shouting?"

"First explain me clearly. How…Why…? Everything…", Konci Lee muttered.

"Ugh...Yea... The day before yesterday, we both met at a hotel and she made a deal with me to guide her to the suicide forest in search of her missing sister…” Stephen stopped when he saw Konci Lee close his face with his palms.

"Why the hell did you stop!” he yelled when he couldn’t hear Stephen’s voice.

"Ohhh!!! Sorry… So, yesterday we went to that forest and she refused to return with me when I suggested her that it's not safe at night. I had no idea that she planned to stay the night. I wouldn’t have taken her if I had known. I, then, commanded her not to leave her tent at any cost but this morning, when I went in search for her. She was missing.” Stephen ended, as the feeling of worry returned back to him.

"Okay! Now one simple question. How can I believe you?" Konci Lee eyed Stephen suspiciously.

"What! What do you mean?” Stephen asked bewildered.

"I mean…Why should I believe you? Who knows! Maybe you killed her and threw her body in that damned forest. Now you are pretending as if it's not your fault.” Konci Lee explained glaring at Stephen.

"What rubbish! Why would I kill her?” Stephen yelled.

"I don't know. She's pretty. Maybe that's why...."

"Excuse me, Sir. I don't belong to that category. I didn't kill her!!!!"

"And again, why should I believe you? Who knows! You seem like a person who could do anything for money."

"Excuse me, Sir!!! I would do anything for money but I wouldn't lose my self-respect! You must be out of your mind to even think that.” Stephen snapped, getting agitated.

Konci Lee was speechless for a moment and then resumed.

"Well... I believe you and I’m sorry for my rudeness."

"It's OK," Stephen mumbled, as his anger left his side.

"So...what do you want me to do?" Konci Lee asked, leaning against his desk.

"What?  I mean...you are the cops and you should have the idea of what to do." Stephen muttered.

"Mr. Stephen, I assume you are not new to Japan. You know the truth about the suicide forest. Once a person crosses the path, they are stuck in there forever. We can’t go against that nature." Konci said in a low key tone.

"But..... But.....you can't just say that. I mean, we have to do our best to protect one's life. So, I mean......I mean we can at least try. Though if all in case, we could not find her, we can go home with a satisfaction. We at least tried." Stephen argued, slowly. He couldn’t find it in his heart to just give up on Samara.

Konci Lee stared at him in aghast and dismay. He slowly nodded his head, realizing the depth of his words.

He called for his immediate successor and ordered him to issue a search warrant.

“And send a group of 7 police officers to the forest. We need to search for a girl. She is the girl who came searching for her sister. She is in her early twenties… Samara Helenson. Do not separate. And keep us updated on the issue. You may leave.” The cop saluted him and left.

"Thanks!” Stephen exclaimed after the cop left. He was glad that the cops were getting up on their feet. All he could do now was pray for Samara’s safe return.

                       ***********