Chapter 1 - Who's That Angel

"I dreamt that we loved each other, but I woke up in a reality where we were born to kill each other."

I first saw him dancing under the dusk sky, his pretty pink hair floating around lightly in the breeze. The smile he had upon his face was a show of true emotion; happiness. It was like he was putting on a grand performance and I was his audience dazzled by his show.

I wanted him there and then; to hold him close to me, to breath in his scent and let it intoxicate me. To be able to feel his warmth under my touch. I sighed with pure satisfaction at the thought of it. The thing was he was always a little out of my reach. He twirled around as sunset shone on him as the day came to end. I sat and watched from the shadows memorised by such a beauty.

Then darkness would descended on the sky and he ran off, leaving me to wonder if I would be able to see him again. So each night I would come and wait for him. Sometimes he would come and other days he would not. It was those days I understood that he could not come out at dark and I could not come out during the day. Our path were to only cross in between those two times. Leaving that one time when we shall meet to become a rare moment.

It's another warm spring night now as I sit in the shade of the near by park. It's just gone past 6pm and the sun has already begun to set. I hear footsteps close by as I turn and look I see him walk through the park to just about where the sun still shines. Right out of my reach but I am glad he has come. Of course he can't see me and yet I can see him. He begins his usual routine of playing a slow melody on the guitar he has hums along a tune. It draws a small crowd around him and he disappears from my sight for a brief moment. Then after a few moments the crowd scatters off and he reappears with a smile on his face as he ends the song.

The last rays of sunlight have vanished letting the night sky take over. I am dwelling on the idea of going over and talking to him. Maybe just even complimenting his skill in music. I get up determined to reach my aim when a voice breaks my silent thoughts and the leftover silence after a song.

"Koichi it's getting dark. Come on in now!" A voice calls out as a figure appears from the shadows. The pink hair boy sighs getting up as he makes his way other to the figure waiting ever so slightly in the distance.

"Yes father I am coming." He replies as I watch him fade out of my sight.

Koichi huh, I think to myself that's the first time I have ever known his name. It brings a smile to face as easy the name rolls off my tongue.

For the next few days I repeat the same actions over and over but yet he does not show up. As each night passes by I fear that something might have happened to him. Or has his family moved taking the boy of my dreams with them. Each night I give up a little more hope with the oncoming sunrise.

Though at the last day of spring as the cherry blossom trees let the petals of the flowers fall to the ground one last time, he appears re-establish all my hopes and dreams back again. He is no longer wearing the pretty dresses that he wore before but instead he wears ripped black jeans and dark blue t-shirt. He blends into the darkness well this way.

He has come alone with no instrument at his side. The expression on his face is sad and dull. Clearly something has happened where he lives. A light breeze blows by, the first signs of the oncoming winter in front of us. There and then I smell it; the sweet scent of blood. It's then I see it; the dark dried patches of blood covering his jeans and a few on shirt.

Torn between my craving for what I can smell that will lead to nothing but spin me out of control and the urge to make him happy again decide to do whatever it takes to get him to be happy, to make him smile again and finally to make him mine.

I get up not wanting to waste time and am about to walk over to his side, I am halfway there; almost there. Then a voice echoes through the small space in here. It makes the emotion of hate surface up inside.

"Koichi get over here this instant, you can think you run away from me you son of bitch!"

A hiss escapes through my lips as I watch the pretty pink haired boy get up and force himself to walk to where his father's stood; always out of sight.

Was this just my luck that I would never get the chance to change that? Well if this was my luck and then my fate to be would change that.

I stepped back into the shadows and turned into my bat form. The light blinded my eyes in this form though got past that problem after a few moments. I fly just above the trees following the pink haired boy and his father that had taken him away from me. I watched as they walked inside the house. Soon after I was back on two feet on the ground again.

I sighed as I looked around from where I stood, under the tree I had landed on.

So this is where they lived, one day I would save him from this place that seemed worse than the caves I had lived in.

I wanted that day to come sooner than later, but my problem was that I hadn't even met him yet. I didn't even know if he would like me back in the same way, the thought of a negative result made me feel sad, it bought a dull aching pain to my chest. Had I fallen for him so quickly? The answer was obvious; yes.

One day we shall meet dear Koichi ,one day when the spring rain turns to snow, we shall meet under the falling snowflakes. One day we shall leave this place and never look back.

That could have happened long ago but I only had the darkness on my side. And until that day I curse being I had become centuries ago; I hated the day I became a vampire.