Chapter Seven - Poison

Start from the beginning

“So you're the real reason his sister is dead?” Dexen said, obviously trying to bring out some anger out of Riley, but it wasn't working.

“I guess you could say that, and now I'll kill you so that he has no one, again,” she told him coldly.

Riley screamed at Seraphina as she leaned in closer to Dexen and kissed him on the lips. The red dust around her reacted quickly and traveled through the kiss, entering Dexen's body. His veins popped visible, turning red as the dust traveled through his system.

“LEAVE HIM ALONE! STOP HURTING HIM!” Riley screamed, desperately trying to move his limbs but he felt like a statue.

Seraphina pulled back gently, watching her poison flow through his veins. She glanced at Riley one last time before gathering more of the red dust and spreading it everywhere. She raised her hands and sent waves after waves of red into the forest, killing everything it touched, leaving only two single spots where the brothers stood motionless.

They blinked and Seraphina was gone. Riley didn't know how or where, she just popped out of the picture. He felt his limbs regaining control, but he still didn't move. Everywhere, all around him, were thousands of red dust particles floating, shimmering like diamonds in the sunlight. They were beautiful, in a scary way.

“D-don't m-move,” Dexen stuttered, sounding like he had a bad case of the chills. Riley only needed one look at him to know he was going to die.

“Dexen . . . we need to get you out of here,” Riley told him, slowly panicking inside. His brother looked like he was in so much pain and he couldn't do anything to help, not when the poisonous air was keeping them apart.

“S-she blocked my magic.” Dexen was turning paler by the second and his veins were only getting creepier. “Whatever she did, it's blocking . . . m-my magic. I c-can't teleport. Y-you have to get out of here.”

“I'm not leaving you here.”

“Don't touch them!” Dexen screamed at him as Riley tried to move his hands to reach for his dagger, but then he remembered he didn't need it anymore.

“Okay, I'm going to teleport over to you and then I'll teleport us out, okay? Make room, I'm going in three . . . two . . . one.” Riley disappeared from his spot and re-appeared pinned against Dexen in the very limited space they had. Riley wrapped his hand around Dexen's wrist and didn't waste another second, teleporting them out using his dagger, as their teleporting abilities only worked on themselves.

Riley carried Dexen into one of the bedrooms inside the underground home, laying him on his back and quickly using a spell to conjure water into a bowl. He picked up one of the pillows Dexen wasn't using and removed the case, soaking it in the water and using it to clean Dexen's face.

“How do I cure you?” Riley asked him.

Dexen laughed. “You learn quick.”

“Dexen, how do I cure you?” Riley demanded.

“I don't think you can cure this,” he whispered back, closing his eyes as pain attacked him. He groaned loudly, then broke into screams. Riley held him down and tried everything he could to make him feel as comfortable as possible while his brain thought of something to do.

“That . . . that was her poison!” Riley shouted. “I can't believe I forgot about this! Hart can heal, Seraphina can poison!”

“Beautiful,” Dexen muttered. “At least we know Lucifer has a sense of humor.”

“No, Hart can heal you!”

“Yeah, I'm sure he'll be thrilled to heal me after we killed his sister and made him feel the pain.”