Part 4

The first day of school in this unknown town came almost too soon for Anakah. Her parents had enrolled her and her sister into a school only a short walk away from their home.

That morning as her alarm blared she debated locking her bedroom door and refusing to leave  but she knew better. She knew no matter how much she put it off and pretended that it didn't exist, she wasn't home.

It was easy to forget when she stayed in her room filled with all her familiar things to keep her sheltered from reality. It was easy to forget when she kept herself occupied with her art finishing sketch after sketch and piece by piece.  But now she couldn't pretend anymore.

She wasn't going to the same school with the same friends and there was no going back no matter how much she wanted to. 

That's when the anxiety settled in. Sunk into her skin. It wrapped itself around Anakah's chest leaving her struggling for a breath.

The thoughts wouldn't stop. Does she wear jeans and a t-shirt or a dress or skirt? What class does she have first? Are the other students nice? What if no one likes her? What if they think she's weird? Her mind seemed to explode with irrational what ifs and worst case scenarios.

Anakah spent an hour getting ready. Choosing an outfit, doing her hair, brushing her teeth, doing her makeup as she loses herself to her thoughts.

When she had made her way down the stairs Anakah peeked in her sisters room to see that it was empty. She heard voices drafting up the stairs along with the smell of fried eggs.

Anakah entered the kitchen and saw her family sitting at the kitchen table conversing. She couldn't help feeling like an outsider intruding in her own home as she helped herself to some eggs and ate along with them.

Her father got up and left for work saying goodbye to her mother and sister. Her mother then finished shortly after to do the dishes. Only then was Anakah's presence acknowledged.

"Anakah, honey, make sure you wash your own dish and walk your sister safely to school. You should be leaving by now or you will be late," her mother scolded as she got up from the table.

Anakah did not respond as she washed her dish in the sink and set it in the dish washer. She didn't find a need to.

"Come on, Catie," she said as she grabbed her bag and walked out the front door.