Chapter Fifteen, Never Giving Up

Sharon and Raymond spent the last few days working on their homestead. Sharon managed to finish canning the last batch of raspberry jam, and her pickles.
"Phew... that's a lot of canned goods." Thought Sharon to herself.
Raymond walked in to find his wife cleaning the kitchen counter, sadness overcame her beautiful but yet exhausted face.
"Let's go out. The kids aren't home." Smirked Raymond, tugging Sharon away from the clean counter top.
"Where are we going?" Asked Sharon with curiosity.
"To have some fun. You deserve it."
The couple saddled their horses and slowly trotted to Northbrook to have some fun, and escape the turmoil from their homestead.
As they they rode the windy road , Sharon saw a few white butterflies make their way from flower to flower. The aroma of fresh cut grass from the local community filled their noses. Sharon deeply inhaled, and exhaled slowly, she felt one with nature.
"Oh Ray this is the life." Breathed Sharon.
Raymond looked up to the heavens and quietly thanked the Lord for the blessings the Marone couple were granted with.
"Yes Sharon... this is the life." Thought Raymond to himself.
An hour passed and they reached the little Township of Northbrook once more. The loved the sight of the little town bustling about their lives. Tractors and horses was the mode of transportation in them parts, for cars were too mainstream.
"Nice to see you guys again." Cheered a random gentleman, taking off his cap in front of Sharon. The gentleman was a younger fellow in his late twenties, with short blonde hair and deep sea eyes.
"Are you okay Sharon? You're not looking so good today?" Asked the stranger.
"I'm okay thank you. It's just been a rough week." Assured Sharon with a weak smile.
"Maybe while you are here, we should get you looked at." Suggested Raymond.
Sharon reluctantly agreed, and walked to the nearby clinic. She didn't want to know what sort of Ailment she could possibly have.
The couple sat alone in the quiet and quaint clinic. The secretary quietly typed onto her keyboard while speaking softly in her ear piece. Sharon read a local harvest magazine to read upon tips for gardening while she patiently waited.
"Can I help who's next?" Asked the secretary.
"Ugh..he..hi, I'm Sharon Marone. I would like to see the doctor today." Stuttered Sharon.
"Okay, and can I see your health card please?" Asked the Secretary.
"Ugh yeah sure." Mumbled Sharon as she fished through her wallet fo the little green card.
The secretary quickly typed Sharon's information down and walked her to the back room. It was a little white room with a small bed and a chair.
"The doctor will be with you Shortly." Smiled the secretary.
In the dead silence, Sharon and Raymond patiently waited for the doctor to arrive and assess Sharon. She suddenly heard a quick knock on the wooden door and entered an older gentleman, wearing a nice outfit.
"Sharon Marone? I'm Doctor Salmon. I will be doing some blood work on you .today okay?" Introduced the Doctor with dark framed glasses.
Sharon nodded her head, with her thoughts swimming in her head. Her belly burned with anxiety.
"Can you step on the scale for me please?" Asked Doctor Salmon.
Sharon hesitated, and then slowly stepped on the big scale. Tears slowly stung her eyes and trickled down her soft cheeks.
"One hundred and twenty pounds?" Said the doctor out loud.
"What's wrong with that?" Asked Raymond with concern.
"Well... her previous medical record from a year ago said that she was one hundred and fifty pounds.... she's dropped a lot of weight." Explained the doctor, glasses in his left hand.
"Oh.. I see.." mumbled Raymond looking at his scared wife.
"I think she should get an x ray too." Recommended the doctor.
Sharon spent half an hour getting her x rays and blood work all finished, she was terrified about what the results would reveal.
"Don't worry Sharon, once I get the results I will call you. It should take a week." Assured the doctor.
"Alright Raymond,  can we please have fun now?"  Begged Sharon with frustration.
The couple sauntered all over the quaint little town, they browsed the fresh fruit markets and a little toy store for children.
"You hungry?" Asked Raymond rubbing his rumbling belly.
"Actually yes I am." Agreed Sharon.
They made their way to the Northbrook Hotel to hit up the unique restaurant. Sharon and Raymond ordered a pint of Bud Lite with an order of fish and chips.
"This is such a good spot to eat isn't It?" Said Raymond with his mouth full of food, pieces of French fries fell onto his beard.
"It's sure is babe. You picked a great spot." Complimented Sharon.
The young female bartender strutted over and took their order. She smiled and flashed a quick wink towards Raymond.
"What can I get for you folks this evening?" Asked the bartender.
"Scotch on the rocks." Said Raymond handing the bartender the empty beer pitcher.
"Okay and you ma'am?" She asked Sharon with caution.
"Rye and ginger please." Said Sharon jabbing at a piece of fish with her fork.
"Okay then, be back in a jiffy." Smiled he bartender.
"Well she's kinda cute don't ya think?" Raymond teased Sharon with a grin.
"Nah...too slut type. " Winked Sharon.
The bartender stopped by their table, holding their drinks. The bartender smiled and waved at the Marone couple. Well mostly Raymond. Sharon and Raymond began playing a few rounds at the pool table. Raymond looked over to find his wife dancing to the music and laughing her heart out. Raymond missed these precious moments with Sharon.
"Well babe, I know you're having fun but we should head home now." Said Raymond glancing at his watch.
Sharon's lit up face, quickly turned back into the depressed, tired woman Raymond dreaded would return.
The Marone's slowly sauntered back to their homestead, the golden sun was slowly setting, and the croaking frogs filled the evening air. They had finally came to the end of their driveway. With pooling tears, Sharon began trotting down their long wooded driveway. She felt her sanity slowly drifting away from her, her will power leaving her body with every step the horse made. Sharon could now see their house, she glanced up towards the upstairs windows and noticed little Isabel standing there in Jewel's room. Watching her every move.
After the horses were stalled up in their stable, Sharon sat on the couch and began to silently weep to herself.
"Sharon what's the matter?" Asked Raymond has he walked through the front door.
"Anymore I'm so depressed being here Ray. This paranormal business is just too much for me." Sobbed Sharon looking at her tired, over worked husband.
Before Raymond could comfort his sobbing wife, the couple heard a slow creaking sound coming from Jewel's bedroom. Without thinking twice, they raced up their stairs to check out the culprit. Raymond got to his daughter's room first and tried to push open the door, but it wouldn't budge. He heaved his muscular shoulder into the lame wooden door and threw it open. The couple quietly stepped in her room. The air was very cold to the point the Marone's could see their breath. The room fell completely silent. Sharon's heart thumped so hard, her chest hurt with every breath she took. A low growl emitted from their daughter's closet. It grew louder and louder until Raymond opened the door.
"Fuck you!" Hollered the angry entity. The voice was filled with blood thirst and rage. Sharon stood their trembling with fright, tears streamed down her thin bony face.
"Raymond we should..." Began Sharon, but she was too late. The entity tossed Raymond backwards and knocked the wind out of him. Raymond quickly jumped to his feet. The couple turn to escape the tirade and chaos but the door slammed shut and wouldn't budge again.
"WHAT'S THE MATTER CUTTINGHAM? YOU AFRAID OF FACING ME YOU COWARD?" Shouted Raymond with anger.
"You are a piece of shit Raymond Marone. But you won't be so high and mighty in a few short months." Taunted the entity.
Sharon felt anger bubbling in her tummy. She wanted the torment to end for her sanity and Raymond's.
"For God's sake leave us alone!" She Shouted at the four walls in Jewel's room.
The entity spoke nothing but launched a nearby photo at Raymond. Sharon tried to move quick on her feet but it was too late for Raymond was already bleeding from the sliced gouge on the side of his head.
"Ray we need to get you out of here." Said Sharon helping her bleeding husband on his feet. The couple quickly bolted down the stairs. Raymond held an old towel to his wound, trying to slow down the bleeding, while Sharon was on the phone with the paranormal team.
"Oh Leanne thank God you picked up. You need to get out here to investigate again. This thing came back in full force. Please help Us!" Begged Sharon over the phone.
"I'm terribly sorry Sharon, but we are booked with demonic cases these next few days. Please hang tight. Our team will be there next Saturday." Assured Leanne.
Sharon hung up the phone and fell to the floor. Despair hung over her heavy mind.
"Well what did Leanne say?" Asked Raymond wincing from the stinging pain.
"Not until next weekend." Sharon mumbled with tears trickling down her face.
Sharon managed to stop Raymond from bleeding out, white bandages was tightly wrapped around his head. The two decided to light some sage and say their bed time prayer, hoping to bandaid the issues for that night.
The next day Sharon woke up to find her parents and children strolling through the front door full of smiles. Donna looked at her daughter with great concern.
"Sharon are you okay?" Asked Donna.
Sharon was about to explain last night's incident but the phone began to ring. She had a gut feeling that it was her results.
"Hello?" Asked Sharon into the phone.
"Hello Sharon this is Doctor Salmon. Now I normally don't make special calls on Sundays but I figured you should know your results." Explained the doctor with trouble in his voice. Sharon concluded the results wasn't going to be good.
"Okay so what's wrong?" Asked Sharon.
"Sharon.... you have stage four leukemia. And judging how much you have deteriorated already, you have three months to live." Explained the doctor with troubles.
Sharon hung up the phone and looked at her very curious family that stood in front of the door.
"Jewel why don't you play with your horse. Mommy needs to have an adult talk." Ushered Sharon.
"Honey what is it?" Asked Raymond with great fear and concern.
"I...I..I have stage four leukemia, and only have three months to live." Stammered Sharon, looking down at her aged boney hands.
The room fell completely silent, and for once Sharon could hear herself think, or could hear a pin drop. Suddenly Raymond fell to his knees and Hollered and bawled. All he could think of was Sharon's funeral.